36 year old suffering with trigeminal neuralgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wondered if anyone else suffered from this at a young age like me?

I only get it when it's really very cold.. I've had it for a week which I know isn't long but the pain is immense, anyone know of anything to help ease it please...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sua

I personally didn't suffer from a young age, but I have suffered on and off for over twenty years.

Have you been to see your GP? He will prescribe you with the right medication, so when you get your bouts they are there ready for you to take. 

Let eat us know how you get on.

Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi,

I went on Friday, i only get it when i go out and get a chill due to the weather for long periods, otherwise i dont get it. Last year only had once. Only come on last tue as the office last mon heating broke so was really cold all day and went out so that bought it on. Otherwise dont get it other times.

So dr didnt advise taking tablets.

• Posted

As i am young i concerned as want to be active and dont want it to get worse when i older. Dr didnt think it would due to me only getting it when i really cold. hope she is right, just wanted to know what would help sooth it now? thinking and worrying about it making pain more intense.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with suspected TN at the end of October 2014, aged 41.  Am waiting an appointment with a neurologist at present.  I have had an MRI to check that I had no acoustic neuroma, and that was clear.  I am now on my second type of anti-epilepsy tablet.  The first one wiped me out and did not ease the pain, but the second has allowed me to drive and return to work.  I still have a lot of face pain (the cold does make it worse) but mine is there the majority of the time.  I think I am learning to live with it.  The pain starts in the region of my ear and goes across my cheek.

Check out meds from the GP, they are worth a try if things are getting you down!

Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks, I am lucky that only get when it;s really cold. thinking to try hypnotherapy
  • Posted

Hi,

the only other solution I can think of is have you tried Sensidyne toothpaste for sensitive teeth? Also just to rule out other causes, have a check up at your dentist too. Sometimes it can just be one of those unfortunate times that you experience in cold weather.

Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Thanks, I have had tests and been confirmed i have it but will get mri scan to confirm nothing else.
  • Posted

Hello sua74116,

36 is on the young side in general but many have gotten it younger. If neurologist is keeping it manageable you're in good shape. Never heard triggered by cold before. Good luck.

eddie13

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.