375mg Venlafaxine and 30mg Mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am taking 375mg of Venlafaxine and have been for the past 6 months or more. Yesterday I was also prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine to take as well. I took the first dose of the latter before I went to bed last night and slept for 15 hours!! Is this normal? A friend has suggested that it might be an overdose and perhaps the dosage is too high? I woke up feeling very groggy and disorientated. Advice please if anyone has any.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

U may get used to it but if still the same in few days try half or c ur dr good luck x
  • Posted

It's normal. Mirtazapine can make you very drowsy. Especially when first starting it. It knocked me out and I have a very high tolerance to sedatives. Though I would of thought you should of been started at 15 mg of mirtazapine.  Though I have known the starting dose to be 30mg. It isn't unusual. The other thing is, its' more sedating the lower the dose, instead of tje other way around which could be why you were started on 30mg. Mirtazapine can make you feel very groggy and hungover to start with and can make you feel like you are dragging your legs through mud. You do adjust to it. But if you feel it is too much then speak to you r doctor.  Mirtazapine is a very good drug for severe depression. It tends to work within 2 weeks for a lot of people. It really helped lift my mood.
  • Posted

Thank you Lisa and Stardust. I will take your advice and  see how I go, and contact my Doctor if it doesn't improve.
  • Posted

To continue was stardust79 had said, Mirtazapine is a strange "less-is-more" type medication, where the 15mg does is more sedating, while the 30mg is more energizing and won't put you out.  Mirtazapine was the first med my doc has perscribed to me that did NOT give me absolutely BRUTAL side effects, like Lexapro and Effexor did.  I have been on it for exactly a month and I am not going to say I am "walking on sunshine" by any means, but I feel different, and I don't feel bad, so I think different is a good sign, people who have been depressed for so long don't even know what happiness feels like, so when the happiness returns, it will manifest itself with feelings of just feeling different at first, since you aren't used to it, and as time goes by, true joy that you can identify should start to finally show itself.  So different is good if thats what your med is doing, so long as you feel fine.  So remember all this.
    • Posted

Hi Peter

I don't feel anything at the moment, as it was my first dose last night. I am just worried that sleeping for 15 hours is not normal, My Doctor told me that it can also make you feel very hungry which is worrying as I have no long been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and need to control my weight. I don't want to put back on the 12lbs I have lost!

• Posted

Actually the fiirst time I took 30mg I fainted before my wife. Unbelievable.
    • Posted

Blimey that must have very frightening for both of you! Did you stop taking it after that?

• Posted

I was told that my body had to get used to it and I trusted my doctor. However within in month it have me to many problems: I had to stop working. Now I'm following the Cita protocol to get rid of it keeping the withdrawal symptoms at bay.
  • Posted

Roxi I don’t know what Venlafaxine is, but my Dr. started me off on 15mg of Mirtazapine and worked me up to a maximum dose of 45mg on a time scale. I can’t tell you what to do, but you may want to contact your doctor and tell him/her what happened if this continues. Age and weight might also be a factor.
    • Posted

Venaflaxine is another poison that depletes many nutrients and weaken your immunitary system. They gave me this poi son to take by day in order to impact the drowsiness caused by Mirta. Long story short, at the first brain zap I freaked out and found out the mirta venaflaxine combo is called "californian rocket fuel" . I got rid of venaflaxine right away and stayed in mirta.

Mistake: Mirta was another kind of poison...

• Posted

Don't read negatives about Mirtazapine. See how you go. If in the next 2 days you still feel yucky, go back to the doctor and maybe lower the dose. As with all drugs you do need to give it time for your body and brain to adjust and for the drug to work. We are all different.  We all have different reactions to drugs as to what others may or may not have. Mirtazapine is definitely a drug that will knock you out for a few weeks until you get used to it. Also makes you groggy for a few weeks. I've been on it for 2 and a half years and it's really helped me a long with clomipramine another anti depressant. I found when I was first on mirtazapine and at the time I was also on fluoxetine I did actually feel unusually happy after 10 days. Then slumped down again but then found I felt more normal after 4 weeks. Obviously with a new drug you go through the horrible waiting game of side effects and worrying and the whole will it work. Any antidepressant can sometimes make you feel worse before you feel better. But you should be monitored by your doctor during this time. But also if you feel something isn't right then there is no harm at all going back to your doctor and saying how you feel.
    • Posted

Hi Stardust. I have been on Mirtazapine now for eight weeks the first three i felt really well but also i was coming off Sertraline! i'm now really worried my mood is really low again, keep thinking i will not recover been ill since May not had depression for 31 years i had it after my daughter was born at the doctors today for review my family ( i think ) think i should be well by now getting myself so worked up!
    • Posted

A thing I found out: Mirta depletes vitamin D3...Which is very important for your mood. Try to get 20 minutes Of Sun between 12 and 3pm
  • Posted

i was on mirtazipe 20 mls for two mnths did not help me at all in fact the opposite to u cudnt sleeo at all gud luk maybe the combination ov bothe drugs as made u sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.