39 and waiting for hysterectomy including ovaries. worried about taking hrt

Posted , 4 users are following.

Following a laparoscopy I found out that I was riddled in endo and had to have organs cut apart to release them as fused . I am now waiting for a hysterectomy including removing ovaries but have been told I'll go on hrt and I'm worried about side effects that I keep hearing about. Any advice please ? 😱

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi ya , I have just had total hysterectomy including both ovaries removed 3 weeks ago. I am also concerned about HRT . My consultant advised me its when you continue to take HRT over the age of 50 that your most at risk ? Am 35 . Discuss with your consultant and hopefully they will advise you . Iv not started on HRT . I am unsure if I will take herbal remedies for the flushes and Vitamins for my bones and heart .

Following discussion

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My consultant seemed to dismiss my concerns saying hrt is only replacing what your body should be producing and I'd come off it at 50. I know I should trust his professional judgment as I don't have a choice about preserving ovaries. Were you offered hrt straight away and declined or do they leave it a while. Have you had menopausal symptoms. Sorry lots of questions!
    • Posted

My consultant advised me to discuss the HRT with my GP after my 6 week follow up appointment. I am the same as you though not sure if I will . I have not had that bad of the menopausal symtoms , I have a little hot flushes at times but nothing major. I just felt I needed to take a few weeks to come to terms with the surgery and recover before I started the HRT straight away . Ask as many questions needed ;-)
    • Posted

Thank you. Let me know what you decide. At the moment I'm thinking yes but that's before I've gone through it. I've still got that hurdle yet sad. I think I'll take your sensible approach and see what is said at my check up afterwards rather than rush in.
    • Posted

I will do . You going to be just fine . I know it's real easy for other people to say but do try to take one day at a time . It's such an emotional roller coaster but you will get there . Keep strong and look after your self . Less stress pre surgery the better for post op recovery I think anyway . Give your self time to recover and take your time . X
  • Posted

Hi Froggy28, I know exactly how you feel. Over a year ago @ the age of 37 because I had it done on the January & 2wks later I turned 38, I had a TAH, I had a vertical cut which left me with 38 staples & all this was due to Endo. My Consultants came to me after the Surgery & told me my insides were like concrete as the Endo was everywhere, my OP Lasted from 1:30pm until after 6pm I got back to the ward @ after 7:30pm. Had to stay in Hospital for 9 days. But my Consultant did not put Me on HRT as they were scared incase the HRT would allow the Endo to grow back, & there is No Way I am going through the pain of Endo, I had Years of suffering that no 1 would believe me until it got that bad I pasted out so often I was in & out of the Hospital like a yo-yo. My GP has put me on Clonidine for the Hot Flushes, & I have been seen by a Consultant about my Bones so I am Heading now @ the Start of March for a Bone Density Scan to keep a check on my joints. At the time of my OP the only thing that didn't go to plan was that the Endo was attached so badly that a small bit of my Cervix was to difficult to reach & had to be left so I will have to get Smears taken now every 3 yrs until I am 55. I really do Hope this Helps you & I wish you all the Best & a Speedy recovery. Big Hugs. Goodluck hope to hear how you get on. Xxsmile
    • Posted

Sounds like you have had awful time!!. When my consultant opened me up they decided to do in two stages so I didn't need vertical cut. I've had lots of endo cut away on first op and then on hormone suppressant so hopefully the hysterectomy will be easier. Woke up to hrt scare on news so that's not helping. I would be on low dose not enough to grow endo but enough to protect bones. I just wish there was more evidence on risks for early menopause hrt rather thanthose taking it after nnatural menopause. Hope you are fully recovered now xx
  • Posted

Hi, I am in exactly the same situation and my TAH is booked for next week.  I asked my consultant about HRT and he said I would take a low dose, much less estrogen than my ovaries are producung now.  This is because of my age (35).  Ive read so many things now Im not sure what to do! Am not sure when i start either as ive heard its good to leave it a while so any remaining endo dies?  Ive heard it can take a while to find an HRT that is suitable for you.  Best of luck xx
    • Posted

That makes sense to let endo die off. I didn't realise it did this. I thought it would be dormant unless estrogen strong enough to make it grow! I'm still waiting for appointment was told April would be latest as I couldn't keep the zoladex up as had severe migraines so they didn't want it to be growing back before op. Are you able to have your op by lap? Hope it all goes well xx
    • Posted

Maybe it would be dormant....not sure....I will be asking many questions on operation day!! And after about HRT. Can't have it lap because its taken over in there! Could hardly see ovaries and its attached to my bowel in two places.  I am so exhausted of it now can't wait for Friday.  Hang in there....I know it feels like we wait for ages for these appointments, hope you hear something soon xx
    • Posted

I bet you are I know how much it hurt before they released my ovaries from bladder and even that's made a huge amount of difference to how I feel. Good luck for Friday xx
    • Posted

Hi. Hope all went OK and you back home now- soon. I phoned admissions as not heard anything and my appointment letters always been quite quick. Turns out I'd been taken off list by mistake. Now I've got to wait again! Wishing you a speedy recovery xx
    • Posted

Oh no! Thank goodness you phoned.  Thats very annoying!! Thanks, recovery is going well, but soooooo slow!  Got to be patient with myself!!  I spoke to 2 consultants both who agreed to put off the HRT for as long as I can, preferably 3 months.  No nasty side effects yet but its early days!!  Hope you hear soon xx 
    • Posted

Hi. Glad to hear you are through and recovering. I've got date forearly May ! Hope you taking it easy smile and those nasty side effects stay away. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.