3month review

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have just been for my 3 months review with surgeon had X Ray everything is fine but he's still not pleased with my bend even tho the. Physio has discharged me can anyone help me I don't know what else I can do bending under the chair putting a strap under my foot and sliding it up any more suggestions 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm 4 mths along and still try to strengthen my quads by squeezing them and holding for 20 seconds, also stand at bottom of stairs put my tkr leg up on first step and bend into it, and I have a small set of pedals and sit and watch TV whilst peddling away, its all about patience and giving time time I've found, I don't count my bend anymore as I got obsessed with it!!!! I just find myself doing a bit more each week, dont knock yourself I'm sure your doing great !
  • Posted

Are you warming up first? A stationary bike for 10 min helps or a heating pad for a bit. Do your other exercises and stretches first then the bend. My PT had me sit back in the chair, bend my leg under it then slide forward in the chair to get more bend. Hold for 20 sec 4 times.

What degree bend are you at? Sometimes our doctors expect more than we can do on their schedule. Keep up the good work, it will happen.

• Posted

Hi  

I'm 6 wks post op PKR and I've been using a theraband to help with my bend and also to do resistance work.  Hook the theraband around your foot and taking the band behind your back and over your shoulder, pull the band and your foot up so that your knee is bent and your foot is now near your bottom.  Just doing that and relaxing into it might be enough, however, if you then move your foot downwards, creating resistance, this will also help with your quads.

I've been doing this for several weeks now and my consultant and physio are both extremely happy, they've signed me off!  I know PKR is nowhere near as bad as a TKR, but, I'm sure you will get there in the end, there's only so much you can do and it all takes time.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am very impressed you have done so well .I also had a partial knee done 11 weeks ago but am struggling with mobility . My knee buckled and i fell and hurt my back . Although quads are improving I am petrified of falling again . I still walk with a stick as feel very unstable .not sure if this is normal or not . I am doing loads of physio and cycling on my exercise bike . Well done you
    • Posted

I had a blip 2 weekends ago, thought I was doing SO well, went out with friends, had too many wines and ended up dancing.  All well and good while I was out but when I got home and 'somehow' found myself sitting on our very small bathroom floor unable to get up because my legs weren't working properly, nothing seemed like a good idea!  I understand your retisence, it's a confidence thing, maybe try walking around the house without any aids to start with?  I don't use anything now but even when I knew I didn't need them I used them when I was out just to give others the heads up to avoid me.  I know that generally I'm a very strong person but I also know that there are only so many exercises I can do in a day that will allow me to do it again tomorrow, especially since I've stopped taking the meds.

Today I did 20 mins on the recumbant bike, 5 mins on the treadmill and 3 mins on the stepper, on top of my leg lifts etc, which I tend to do at home.  I go to the gym 5 times a week and every day I do exercises but honestly, some days I just lose the will to live, but that's life I suppose.  We've just got to keep going, it's not going to happen quickly smile but it will happen.  Good luck and keep up the cycling!

• Posted

Hi linda. I bought a recumbent exercise bike because i cudnt get the bend on a normal one . It has worked wonders for my bend .It was difficult at first but improved over time. My physio also said to sit at the edge of a chair put a plastic bag under your foot and keep sliding it backwards it allows a more fluid movement .

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Linda, I had a TKR about 4 months ago. My knee was extremely stiff (like encased in cement or so it felt) but I had a manipulation at about 12 weeks which helped tremendously. I went from a very painful 80 degree bend pre manip to 128 a few weeks ago. I also had total muscle weakness in the quad post surgery and have been doing a huge amount of physio - bike, theraband and weights ... I am only now walking without a cane around the house (still use one outside as I am a bit unsteady on rough ground - and it helps to keep crazy people from getting too close biggrin. The best that I found for getting the knee more flexible was to use the therabands under the chair as has been described - but also in the evening sitting with the coffee table in front of my couch (they are about the same height) and bending it againt the side (foot on the side of the table) then sliding it straight ...back and forth .. this seemed to loosen it up. Good Luck with the bending but - as someone else said - don't get hooked on the numbers - it's more about what you can do with what you have (i.e. are YOU happy)?
    • Posted

Hi donna .is a theraband a resistance band? My physio gave me one to try . This quad weakness is the worst what weights do you do and what have you found the most beneficial ? My stick stays by my side at all times . All tips gratefully accepted

• Posted

Hey Gill..yes the theraband is just a resistance band. .not sure if the colour coding is the same but i started woth a yellow which was the easiest and am now on grey which is the most resistant. Took me 2 months to get there. I can npw use about 5 lbs on the leg lift ..sitting on a bench and doing the lifts and also lying flat..it's hard tho for sure especially since yje leg isn't perfectly straight. Physio said to avoid anyhting that pushes the knee sideways...the bending and straighening on the coffee table worked best but sliding ot under the chair with theraband (in a plastic bag ) worked well too....msg me directly if ypu want. ..good luck!
    • Posted

Hi donna .I have just been given the yellow reistance band to use . Do you go to the gym to use the weights . It feels like i do everything but the knee just doesnt feel good when am walking . It keeps letting me down so i stumble at least a few times every week sometimes everyday . I have become paranoid with walking .it feels heavy and uncomfy and hold on to everything insignt . Feeling fed up and frightened i wont ever be normal again
  • Posted

What is your bend? I just managed 90 at 6 weeks.

Does the surgeon want to see you again?

Try this exercise it really helped me.

Sit on the bed with a tea tray at your feet and keep your socks on

Slowly bend your knee towards you and mark on the tray how far you can go.

Next time try and go a bit further..

Good luck with this,

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Linda, you don't say what degree your bend is???  I was 90 degrees when I went home from the hospital, 3 days after surgery....with PT I was able to reach 123 degrees.  I am now 26 weeks post op and still working to get to between 125/130, even though I've been told 123 is very good, I want better... smile A few tricks I used were using a bath towel to pull my leg as close to my butt as I could, while still in bed, w/o out and out pain. Uncomfortable but not pain. Sitting in a chair, using your good leg to force the 'bad' leg back under the chair...again, no out and out pain...it is uncomfortable.  Squats...while holding onto the back of a chair, squat, like your butt is reaching for another chair to sit down.  These helped me. Maybe they could help you.
  • Posted

HI everyone thanks for your replies my knee bend is more than 90 but not sure what it is if I sit on the chair I can bend it so it's under the seat I do use a little slider that I got from physio I also use a strap under my foot and slide my leg up but I do find I get pain with this did it yesterday and had a walk then my knee was sore all day afterwards I'm having a mini bike delivered today just trying everything at moment will just keep going was down after I saw surgeon the other day but had my wine and felt better ha keep going everyone we will all get there
  • Posted

Hi Linda.  

I'm Just over 5 months post TKR and I felt abandoned by the physios and felt I had to do something to strengthen it and help it along. I have an excercise bike but needed more, so I found a local gym with a pool (haven't been in the gym yet) and go in the pool 3 times a week to do my exercises in the water.  When I first went i used a cane and now I stride in, eager to get in that water!

The change has been fantastic - I am now starting to think I'm glad I had it done, I walk really well (the best I have for years) and I'm happy with the bend etc.  All the exercises are so much easier in the water - I did all the ones I was told to, plus pedalling around like a sea horse with a float underneath me and making them up as I go along! you can bend more without pain and it's also so good for the mind.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Have tried an exercise bike? I found it very helpful getting past the catching points on the bend ie 80-90 degrees. Once you're through that point the world is yours. You don't say if can do 90 yet. Slowly does it, you'll get there. I'm 8 weeks post TKR, have very good bend which I credit my bike with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.