3rd day of flare up

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm in the third day of this flare up.  Have never felt so ill.  Still have quite a lot of pain.  I'm taking Metronidazole tabs.  Haven't had a proper meal for 4days now.

My friend said I should take a glass of warm milk.   So far have just been drinking water.    Is it wise to take milk

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eleanor

It's rotten I know.  I usually drink warm or hot milk -it helps stave off hunger. Low res diet is what you need - dry toast, cream crackers etc.  I also take spasmonal - it helps with the cramps.  Hope you are better soon.

• Posted

No Eleanor do not drink milk.Have you been given antibiotics from the doctor? It seems that you need more help to clear this up. When I started feeling a bit like eating---- clear soup  scrambled egg or egg custart helped. The complan and if made with water helped me.  Do try hard to relax, breathe deeply and try to imagine a place that you enjoyed being at.  Pain is always worse when we are stressed. I know how painful and frightening this Diverticular is and hope that it eases up very soon for you.Try not to fight the pain and if possible keep sleeping as much as posible as sleep is a great healer if the pain lets you do this of course.

Dont hesitate to call the doctor in because it occasionally needs that extra help and dont want it to carry on for so long.  Dont feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about calling the doctor in to see you again. I dont think that some of them realise (if they havent experienced it themselves)just how painful and distressing this problem is to us.  Thinking of you and wishing you well. Vera

• Posted

For the past couple of days I have felt so much better although very weak.

today I thought I'd better start eating now since its been nearly a week since ate a proper meal.

For B/Fast had a worburton thin and a cup of tea.   Lunch, clear soup another thin and a yogurt.  Now I feel almost back to the start.   Cramps have returned and I'm so light headed and weak.  

Should I stop eating food and go back on a liquid diet again.   Still have 10. Flag tabs to take to finish course.  This is really beginning to get me down, any advice would be appreciated,

• Posted

It seems better for me not to go onto anything hard to start with when attack has just decided to ease up.  Tea isnt a very good idea and its best to have Barley water fruit juice but very weak. Havee egg custard or scrambled egg, Soup etc and gradually get back to other food even if you are feeling hungry. This is the time that its important to still beware and go easy as your intestine is still not completely healed. I can understand that you must be feeling very low at present but perhaps to keep on lots of water and take it all slowly regarding harder to digest food will help. Complan is good to have as it keeps your energy up. hope you feel better again soon.  Are you going back to the doctor? Perhaps a further check is needed?  Vera to Eleanor
    • Posted

Hi Vera

i phoned doctor again today.  He told me just the same as you have said.

Stay of solids, milk, cafine and drink lots of fluids.  For tea tonight I had clear soup, mashed potato with gravy and so far everything seems fine.

I also have to take Fibagel so he said to stll take it.   I still have 9 antibiotic tablets left so I think I may have turned the corner.

thanks for your help.

• Posted

I am so pleased to hear that you are "on the mend* I suggest that you keep very faithfully to the diet that you are having for a few days.  Chicken is always the best meat for a while and gradually get back to lean pork etc.  If I feel my stomach is uncomfortable (perhaps with wind pain(However slight) I miss the following meal to give it a rest and just drink lots of water. Its difficult to do especially if another member of family is enjoying their usual meal in the same room! but its worth a try. For indigestion Ive found peppermint capsules to be good to take. I was on holiday a few yers ago and had a Diverticular attack, so called into the local chemist for some medication. As we came out of the shop and started walking up the road  -- alady came running and caught us up to tell me that she was a sufferer of this trouble and wants to help by telling me about Peppermint capsules because she heard me talking to the girl in the chemist shop.  Ive been sure to keep them for emergencies ever since.

Lovely to hear you are feeling better Eleanor and please keep in touch. Its nice to hear from you.  Where do you live? Im in Sussex  Vera

• Posted

Hi Again Vera

Thanks again for your information it has been so helpful, in fact I have written down what you and others have been saying and will keep it in a notebook for future help.

i have peppermint capsules now and will certainly keep them in the bathroom cabinet in case of emergencies.

i am just away to have B/Fast and will try a soft boiled egg.  I also have Ala Vera juice wich I usually take 2Tbs. In my favourite juice twice a day.    I haven't had any cramps after the mashed potato and gravy yesterday so that's a good sign.

I am Scottish but live in South Wales.  Am a widow living on my own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.