3rd month on 15mg, started feeling weak...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, here is my situation:

1. I started using mrt for insomnia/depression on May 1,

2. I was on 7,5mg for the 1 month, then upper the doze to 15 mg since 7,5mg made me always sleepy plus I got other known  side effects (dry mouth, blurry vision, dizziness, drowziness, dry eyes etc.),

3. Now it is been 2 months I am on 15mg. Some side effects are gone now, but I started noticing others like some sinus congestion and muscle weakness. So fatique really concerns me, not sure how common it is. After some workout it is even difficult to breath...

I wonder if this is will improve in the future and what else to expect from it soon? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're having a hard time. I started Mirtazapine 5 years ago. I started at 15mg then was upped to 30mg. Well....After a few weeks at 30 I could barely get of bed to get my kids ready in the morning!!! I dropped down to 15mg and have stayed on that for the past 5 years. In the 1st few months I did feel tired and felt kind of like these zaps. Like  even a small sound would make me jump. It was very strange. I did occasionally have a bit of light headed feeling.   I have discussed these "side effects" with my doctor and some things we've discoverd are my light headed feeling and fatigue could have been caused by my iron levels. Found out I'm anemic and was VERY low! My age is a factor too. I was 43 when all my anxiety/panic started and it seems to be how my perimenopause has manifested. I would suggest having bloodwork done to check B12 (low B12 contributes to the dizzy feeling) iron levels, potassium, magnesium and thyroid. All of those can cause symptoms very similar to what you're experiencing. A lot of people will tell you that Mirtazapine is the worst med out there. I don't believe that. I tried Wellbutrin and had the worst 3 days of my life!  It's so different for each person. I can tell you that after my body adjusted to the 15mg I did very well for 5 years. Unfortunately this past Feb it just seemed to have stopped working. I've reduced it slowly and now just take 3.5mg. and I can take .25mg of Xanax when I'm out and feeling panic but this not something I take every day.  So, if bloodtest come back all good it may be that mirtazapine is not the right medication for you. You will find the right one for you if it's not,it will just take time. I go thru all the side effects before trying a new medication too. I did find that under the less common side effects of Mirtazapine is anxiety and nervousness! That's what I was taking it for in the 1st place.  Good luck to you and I hope you work out something that is best for you!

• Posted

I also experience muscle weakness and stiffness, I cannot grip or walk properly when I get up in the morning, also fatigue.  I don't know if working out will help, but havent tried.  One other person on this site has the same symptoms and she says they went when she stopped taking Mirtazapine. 

I try to take as small a dose as possible, currently take 3/4 15mg, but just started to wien down to 7.5mg.

I have been walking more and its just making me more tired and weak.  I am going to continue to see it that changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.