3rd week citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm 3 weeks into 10mg of citalopram. I was prescribed it for anxiety, at first I didn't feel anything but for the past week I've suddenly felt really depressed. I never even had depression I just had anxiety, I don't want to do anything anymore and won't leave my bed. Also it's given me severe acne, should I stick with this medication even tho it's making me really depressed and giving me acne? How long did it take anyone else on this dose to feel better?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jade I am 5 weeks on cit 10mg and I feel like you.I still have side effects.I think are side effects or maybe it's anxiety ,I don't know but I am not well.So 5 weeks and no benefits yet
    • Posted

What week are you going to give it till until you go back to the doctors??? It's making me so depressed! I've read that it can take up to 8 weeks xx
    • Posted

I am going to see my doctor this week.I have no problem waiting 8 weeks if I know for sure that will work for me.At the moment my chest is burning,I have a lump in my throat and I need to clear it all the time and I have no appetite I lost weight too.I feel awful
    • Posted

I've put on weight as I'm always hungry!!!!

I've put on 9lbs in 3 weeks!!!!!

Hope we feel better soon sad

Yeah I will stick this out as long as I will get better , because the side effects are horrid at the moment x

• Posted

I hope too...If doesn't work  I will never try an AD again.Too many side effects...
    • Posted

Yeah I know! It was my last resort, but we will have to try and stay positive. I'll post on here in a few weeks and let you know how I'm finding citalopram and see if we both feel any better!
  • Posted

When I was first put on medication and whenever my dose was increased, yes, I felt depressed. Not sure how your medication works but I take Effexor which affects the serotonin in your brain. When you're adjusting to it, the chemicals are working to balance themselves out so you can have many ups and downs during this time. When I had my dose increased, for the first few weeks it actually caused anxiety attacks because it was in the process of working itself out.

To ease your mind, talk to your doctor about it and ask how much longer it will take until your serotonin will balance itself out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.