3rd week on citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having a bad day today :-( for the last few days I've started to feel quite normal other than the odd worry here and there, I've still been getting anxiety pains such as chest pains, neck and jaw pain on and off, back and shoulder pains - but today they're all there and I just feel so down, is it normal to feel ok then go right back down to feeling bad again? I've been on 10mg of citalopram for 3 weeks and feel as though the side affects are wearing off now, but how do I know this dose is enough for me? And how can I bring my mood back up?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, quite normal.  Its a blip and you'll get these from time to time as you recover.  Its always 3 steps forward and 2 steps all the way.  Let it be and understand its part of recovery.  It'll go ..... just don't fight it.

K x

• Posted

Thank you, that's a very good way of putting it actually 3 forward, 2 back! Was just a shock to wake up to as I'd been feeling ok until now, hope it passes soon x

• Posted

Yes, remember that annoyance of it keep returning.  It does get better. xx
  • Posted

Hi Chelsey, sorry to hear you're having a bad day.  3 weeks is still really early days and the fact that you started to feel 'quite normal' means the tablets must be helping.

I still felt bad at week 3, but week 4 started to feel better.  It's been a rollercoaster though and it takes months rather than weeks before you get back to normal.

It just takes time to get your mood back up and also try and take the pressure off.

It's frustrating when you feel an improvement only to go back down again, but try and stay positive.  It's still very early days for you and really you need to give this dose chance to work.  

I'm on 20 mg and have considered upping my dose several times, but see how you are at your next gp review and try and rest and recuperate in the meantime.

Good luck. xx

• Posted

Thanks for the positivity Anna, it really helps knowing it's normal to feel this way, felt so run down today anxiety really is exhausting! I'll get there eventually :-) x

• Posted

Hi I started on 20mg and had really bad anxiety, worse than when I started. But it does start to improve. I have a bad day now and then and panic its all the anxiety coming back. Its quite normal I gather. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks now and still have like a tesion headache most days in my temples and forehead but can cope with this. Also i have night sweats sometimes( May be my age?!) x Anxiety is horrid but so far it is improving so soilder on and try exercise , it really helps me. Also I am taking Omega supplements .Fingers crossed for everyone suffering this nasty thing. But you will get info and support on here than from your GP x

• Posted

It really is an awful thing isn't it, never really understood it until I started to suffer myself.Aszing how physical it is. Thanks for the advise I think I should try the exercise it will hopefully get rid of this excess adrenalin! Hopefully the tablets will improve over the next few weeks x

• Posted

Hi chelsey.

How are things going?

I don't know if you have posted recently, just seeing how things are?

Are you 5/6 weeks in on 10mg now?

Hope things have improved, if not keep posting for support.

• Posted

Hi Zoe, thanks for the comment :-) things have definitely improved, my doctor upped my dose to 20mg last week and I had the horrible side effects for about 5 days but they've eased off again now, so much better in myself and the only thing I suffer from at the moment is the pains now and again in my chest, back and neck but the doctor reckons this could be costochondritis caused from the bad panic attacks a few weeks ago. Feeling a lot more positive now thanks for asking xx

• Posted

Also on Citalopram 20mg for about 3 weeks.  Finally started to feel normal in the last week after lots of spaced out feelings and ups and downs.  Finally I have space in my brain to think and can actually concentrate all day without severe brain fog and anxiety
    • Posted

Yes the spaces out feeling wasn't nice! It all gets so much better in time though doesn't it I was worried it wasn't going to end but lots of people say it's a good 2 weeks or so to feel the benefits. We got there! smile

• Posted

yeah.  My GP said it would be 4-6 weeks to feel the benefits. It feels weird having control of my thoughts for the first time in quite a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.