3rd week on fluoxatine

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I am new to this but four weeks ago I started to get panic attacks.  Doctor put me on fluoxetine and I am in the third week.  Side effects have been really bad the worst being insomnia.  I get head pressure and I shake.  The panic has not got any better.  If I go back to the doctors it will mean more tablets.  Any advise out there?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been on it for 2 weeks and I've had bad head pressure and dizziness also along with lack of feeling and little appetite. I've also had vivid dreams which keep waking me up in the middle of the night and I can't get back to sleep. My doctor said the initial side effects should ease in 4-5 days but mine have gotten worse so I'm stopping the Fluoxetine and will probably have to try something else. You should probably consult whoever prescribed it to you to see how you should proceed.

• Posted

hello lisa 

the prozac is the slowest SSRI

meaning, it takes 4-5 weeks for it to be in system at a steady state.

Give it six weeks and then increase dose. I got worse before i got better.

• Posted

Raiyan did you have issues like I'm having after two weeks or did the initial side effects were off by then. I know it takes 4-6 to start working but the side effects I've been having make it hard to work and just do daily functions for me and the vivid dreams haven't helped my sleeping at all.

• Posted

Oh lordy, i can't tell you how long i had side effects for, maybe 4 weeks atleast, but they really starated on the 3rd week. I had joint pain, sleep problems, when increased dose, felt worse for 3 weeks, and slowly got beter  . I researched prozac and compared to other SSRRIs, you will see how slow this stupid drug is , but it slowly works. there were 3 days were i felt like i was getting worse, after feeling okay for few days, its been up and down... but with prozac, you have to give it astleast 6 weeks. Unless, its so bad you can't function, then maybe add another drug temporly like xanx or something. 

• Posted

Thanks raiyan that info will help me decide how I move forward and I really appreciate your help.
    • Posted

Hi raiyan 57317,ive been on flu 20mg for 26days now, had few good days on and off but the bad days that follows are really bad still have side effects upset tummy, diarrhea,anxiety,insomnia , tiredness , did you experience any these side effects,, how long have you been on fluoxetine now,how are you doing, I know I've long way to go

• Posted

I been on it for, 11 weeks or 12, first 6 were on 20mg, then increased 40mg, coming from lexapro for ocd panic etc, so need atleast 40mg but I tried to make it work with 20 stubbornly. So for prozac to reach steady state is around 30 to 45 days Imo, give it six weeks then see about incressing. I had anxiety insomnia tiredness until I got to my 40mg and was doing will OK 40mg until work stress. Increase, still much better then before! After increasing it was again bad for 4 weeks until things settled down. I got worse befoe better. So @40mg for about six weeks now. My advice, as I gotten from others, reduce time thinking about if it works or not until 6 weeks..try to live life with whatever symptoms you have. Always know that nothing lasts forever!
  • Posted

I am six weeks in but I started at 5 mg one week,then 10 mg week 2,15 week 3, 20 week 4&5,and 25 mg week six!It mainly makes me lethargic,but I got a buzzing sensation in my lower back this week that has not gone away!I took celexa for five years and it helped me 100 percent but was weaned off it during my last pregnancy and reacted badly to it when I tried to get back on it two years later when my OCD came back!Soi am on Prozac now!The buzzing sensation has been worrisome and I can't tell if it's helping any or just making me tired.

• Posted

Hi Monica,

i wonder if the buzzing is nerve endings being activated by the process that our brains are going through. Ive had buzzing fluttering in my belly and bott since march 2016. Drs all say nerves ie anxiety, i hate it. I also twitch all over, even my lips, eye, thumb. I have CFS so i dont know whats causing all this, ive had many strange things happen over the years, but this takes the cake for sure. Just look after yourself, rest, i keep telling myself this will fade away. Try not to worry, i know its easier said than done, we are strong and can get over this.

best wishes,

🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.