4 days post surgery... Advice and info for anyone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed on Monday morning and went home at 5.30pm smile

I've had surgery before for a different issue, which had a big 6 inch scar! Some of the side affects this time were the same and are probably down to the general anaesthetic or something.

For me they are not feeling the urge to go to the loo! After surgery I had to drink a lot and really force it before they let me out! That feeling does come back for anyone who is worried, just takes awhile.

I slept for about 24 hours, with odd times of waking. This then reduces as the days go on. I am unsure if on day 3 it is out of boredom or not...

Specific for this surgery is the gas discomfort, and it can feel hard to get your breath at times. I think the bloating has also reduced my appetite.

I ate some pizza tonight, not take out just shop one, and have been fine (so far).

i haven't taken pain killers since I left hospital, I have more discomfort than constant pain, and painkillers can make me feel sick and constipated.

If you are coming up for your surgery try not to panic, get a load of comfy clothes ready and lots of pillows to change your position. I can lay on my side fine and find that a pillow against my tummy eases pain there.

I saw lots of scary stories and got quite anxious about having mine out, but everyone is different and everyone reacts to a general anaesthetic differently.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Im having my surgery on August 23. To be honest iv been thinking about not getting yhe surgery because of all the negative things i hear. I been reading that alot of people still get the pain and end up worse! I would really like to see how you do. I will say a prayer for you and hope your life can now go back to normal please keep us updated on how you feel good luck!
    • Posted

Grace,

I had the surgery last Tuesday first ever having a surgery and all is well

reading post of other peoples troubles will make you nervous.

​No problems no pain pills but most of all no pain in the right quadrant!

• Posted

Hi glad to hear a positive story, I'm waiting to have my GB out and was getting quite worried after reading all the e mails on here . I was amazed you came out the same day, I don't expect I will because of my age and past medical history. I hope you continue to make good progress. Take care X

• Posted

Hi Nic. I go and see the surgeon 30th September regarding removal of my gallbladder. I wanted to ask if you could remember the pain you had before your gallbladder was removed. Did you have back ache? Sciatica? And irritable bowels? I'm taking omoeprazole and now ibuprofen when experiencing pain. I can't take the co codemol as that causes constipation. I've got to the stage where I can't wait to have the operation to resume my life I had before. Never felt so low.

Lovely to hear about your positive outcome on your experience. I must admit I felt frightened about having the op with all the negativity posted. But your post has put me at ease. That's why I replied to you. Hope things are still going good for you. X

• Posted

Almost at the end of day 5, felt a bit off and haven't eaten much today, just put it down to healing.

Regarding pain pre surgery, I would have severe bloating with extreme pain at the front, lower back and right shoulder. Although sometimes it felt like it was everywhere! This was only during attacks though, I didn't take any pain medication as I vomited everything up. One episode went on for days and luckily my GP gave me an antisickness jab i think I just took paracetamol. I did find the last few months I had a constant discomfort in the area no matter what I ate. I kept my diet to foods below 3% fat.

I think one issue is that the avoidance of fat means you don't use your gallbladder (yay!) but I think this can lead more stones to form anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.