4 months in getting worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi 

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram now for 4 months and feel like my anxiety is getting worse and my physical pain is a lot worse. My trembling and jerking when I’m laying down is getting worse as well just don’t know what’s happening, it really seems to have got a hold of me .

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions as to my next step.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey Steve, I have been on celexa for 3 weeks. I've been experiencing on and off bouts with anxiety also. I've been told you'll have moments where it creeps in every so often. If it lasts longer than a week or two I'd talk to your GP. Just ride it out and try to breathe and relax. Tell yourself its temporary. Celexa is a tricky medication but don't give up.

• Posted

Thanks for that I’ve never known anything like this do you get any physical pain

with your anxiety? Also have bad constipation with it.Have you experienced the jerking and internal tremors.

• Posted

I was doing ok the other day then started getting tingly prickly feelings in my hands and feet. I over react like always think it's worse than what it is.

• Posted

When I first started I had horrid side effects. I had heart palpitations. I'd have random pains in my chest and arms. They went away. Recently I've felt my calf muscles twitch and tremble on and off. That has gone away. I work in the construction field so I'm always sure lol. But yes you will have these things creep up but rest assure its Celexa. If you feel concerned call your doc and explain your concerns to keep your mind at ease. Keep me posted. Remember we all are going through this rollercoaster of feelings and questions.

• Posted

Quick word of encouragement It could be worse I haven’t been able to work for 

4 months I’m a chippy and being stuck at home is my worst nightmare 🤯

• Posted

Time is of the essence here with celexa..I recovered in 8months after been a guinea pig to effexor and cymbalta Prozac and Wellbutrin etc..Kate cogs recovered in six months ..of iwasyou I would wait.. because changing meds is horrible..at four months I felt horrible never in a million years I thought I would get better..and here iam recovered talking about it..if your dealing with the side effects don't bother you I would wait.. because this med is slow working ...

• Posted

Hello, you mention that your anxiety and pain are getting worse, and that youve been on celexa for 4 months. By now, generally, you should be feeling better than when you started, with occasional worse moments. If these worse moments last longer than 2 or 3 weeks say, it may be that cit or your dose arent working for you. Its hard to say though. If overall, you have improved since the start, you might want to wait it out. If overall, you dont feel any better than when you started, you may need to reassess your medication. By feeling overall, i mean generally, or most if the time, over the last month. I would recommend seeing your doctor.
  • Posted

Btw, your physical pain, trembling and jerkiness are worse, as a result of increased anxiety.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply so difficult to know what to do i don’t think cit is fully working but will I get worse if I stop.Duloxetine sounds worse for side effects plus I have high blood pressure what a nightmare this is.
    • Posted

I dont think cit is working for you on balance, that was before i realised your doctor pescribed something else. so they dont think cit is working either. I gave cit 13 weeks, because they can take at least that to work and i wanted it to. By then , it looked like a ssri wasnt going to work, and as a previous one didnt, it was time to try a snri, as has been suggested for you. I am now on venlafaxine. Loads of horror stories about starting and stopping it. Just over 4 months on it now, almost a complete turnaround. Felt no side effects at all? enjoyed taking it. Ven has reputation like cymbalta. I think in truth, side effects or withdrawal from any ssri and snri, are as bad as one another. Pycs dont think theres much difference. Over last 3 weeks, ive had a long blip. However, for me, its a question of waiting it out, or increasing dose, as im confident ven works for me. I had very high blood pressure on seroxat, up to 180. Dont know for cit, now 135 on ven. Never had any blood pressure meds. Think you should follow your doctors advice

• Posted

Bear it in mind, if you do switch, its likely to make you worse initially, although not always, as my pysc pointed out at the time. I was in a state when i did my crossover taper, didnt notice any changes. It took 10 weeks before i noticed improvements. Good luck, for whatever you decide. You could delay switching, to see how things go. I was supposed to start switch after 11 weeks, but put it off for 2 weeks, to make sure.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for all your help just one final question when you switched did you just swap or reduce one before starting the other thanks again hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Doctors and pyscs have different ways of doing it. Some stop one, and start you on the new one next day. Some get you to reduce and stop current one, and start the new one after a certain no of days with nothing. This is a particularly bad way of doing it and unnecessary (its what you used to have to do with certain older type anti depressants). The 3rd way is what was recommended for me. I had already reduced current one, so i carried on with it, but also took a low dose of the new one at the same time. Did this for 2 weeks. Then reduced old one further, and increased new one, for another 2 weeks. Then stopped old one, and increased new one further. This last way is probably the safest way, as it trys to minimise withdrawal from the old one, and side effevcts from the new one. Best to follow the way your doctor has advised you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.