4 weeks after 2 nd TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello been following other discussions re success and negatives . Why dont they tell people . I felt great yesterday moving quite well with pain relief so felt had turned a corner. Today totally different tearful and not sure pain relief working , Doing exercise but not using exercise bike yet dont feel ready but trying to get bend on 2nd knee as have physio next week do feel should have better bend  can get approx 90 bend . What are others getting at 4 weeks is this about right or should I push myself more this is what my support is sugessting but not sure I feel ready . Dont want to snap at them they are only trying to help, but they dont understand they take what professionals say but not easy. So to allgoing through this I know we will make it but some days are harder than others  cry

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi It's 4 wks since my TKR, what you are feeling is normal.

My bend has stuck at 90 and no matter how hard I push it will not go any further, I saw my physiotherapist on Monday and she said I haven't got to use the exercise bike till after my appointment with my consultant only then will she get me in the gym.

If you overdo the exercises you will feel more pain than expected.

I have had a few days where I'm very tearful and wish I had never gone ahead with the surgery but other days I'm great. Reading everyone's posts on here I've learned to take each day differently,

Keep in touch as to how you get on

😭🙌😭🙌

• Posted

T hanks glynis will keep going this forum is great for support
  • Posted

It really is tough at first. There are so many expectations but in reality it's a lot harder. No 2 days are the same. One day you feel like you're moving forward the next your questioning why you had it done!! Things will get easier and 90 degree bend at 4 weeks is good. The key is having a good pain relief regime ... not taking them when you feel the pain but constantly throughout the day. Listening to your body it will tell you when it's ready to try something different. I can't say it's a breeze having this op but it is a long and slow recovery process. I'm now nearly a year since my tkr and even now I still get some discomfort but nothing compared to what I had before. I would say that it's 99.9% "normal" now and at 4 weeks I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel but you will get there!!

Onwards and upwards!! 😉

• Posted

Thanks for your comments will keep going and the support given on this forum is great when you need to unload.
    • Posted

It certainly is and it can also be good for a laugh when you're feeling miserable as well.

Take care x

• Posted

I am 6 months on from my TKR and i can only decibe the journey as a really tough oneI had absoutely no idea it would be so hard ... I had up days a  really down days .. I am through the worst  I still have days especaiily if its cold when is stiff and aches but no pain so worth it   Its true i think we are really all not prepard for this .... . Chinup everyoneit does get better smile..
  • Posted

Hey I had first tkr 2015 10/26 it will be 15 weeks Monday. Now I'm going for my right tkr Monday 02/08 my range of motion is 105 bending so I will let you know after surgery 
  • Posted

Bless you, the emotional roller coaster can be a nightmare can't it?! Yesterday I was a soggy weeping mess, even took to my bed in the middle of the afternoon so I didn't have to face anyone......today, I'm bright, breezy, walking without my stick, and I've even visited my disabled friend/neighbour and helped with some chores that needed doing!

I'm 14 weeks out from left TKR and 10 months out from right TKR.

I think 90 degrees at 4 weeks is perfectly acceptable, and if you push yourself too far or too fast, it will more than likely hinder your recovery. With all due respect to whoever is your support, if you haven't been through this surgery yourself, you REALLY don't have the first idea what we go through. I've even threatened to sit someone down and make them watch the surgery on YouTube if they kept questioning why I was still using crutches.....that was a while ago now.....

If you listen to your body, then you won't go far wrong. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is so far off the mark with this surgery.....yes you have to work hard, but it's absolutely vital to get plenty of good quality rest (nap in the day if your nights are still disturbed), good nutrition, plenty of hydration, and good pain control. I say "control" rather than "relief" as its better to take your pain meds on a regular basis, rather than letting the pain come and then trying to get the lid back on it.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you - you'll soon be looking back and realising you're having more good days than bad - just keep on keeping on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.