4 weeks into increased fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have severe anxiety and depression which I have had years before. Since that time I have been taking 20mg fluoxetine a day; unfortunately my symptoms returned tenfold following an awful family trauma (not a death) which is still causing me distress. My GP increased my meds to 40mg four weeks ago and I'm desperate to recover. I have had a few patches of 'normality' but they are short lived and then the problem becomes more distressing! Do you think the meds will take effect soon? I also take 3.75mg of zopiclone as I simply can't switch off at night. Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I suffered severe anxiety where I always feel liek my head will explode and I was so scared, medicines havs no effect at all! My Anxiety vanished through my experimental way! its all about neck exercise! just rotate your neck 8x to left and 8x to right and then stretch it! and all time drink hot water! in just this way my anxiety is gone lol 
    • Posted

Thanks, anything is worth a try. Sadly my anxiety is coupled with depression so its a double whack of distress. Glad your method worked for you.
    • Posted

Hi Claire

Snap!! I have been suffering with depression on and off for years, and now have anxiety on top of it, it won't go and I'm trying everything and yesterday I started taking beta blockers.

Morning are my absolute worst time as soon as I open my eyes, then the panic attacks start.

So you're not on your own. What have you tried so far to help you?? 😕

• Posted

Hi Maureen. Yes, the symptoms are generally more severe in the morning. Today is a crying and feeling helpless/hopeless day! This is an unforgiving and relentless illness, isn't it?! I am just off for my 3rd session of Psychotherapy but not sure if its actually helping me at the moment. Are you taking antidepressants?

Thanks for replying to me x

• Posted

Hi Claire

Yes I take antidepressants Citalopram 40mg.

Lyrica/pregabalin and beta blockers.

I feel hopeless all the time, and so alone even though I have family friends etc.

I try to keep myself busy and not think negative thoughts, not as easy as it sounds huh?

Hope you get On Well At The psychotherapist, I'm still waiting for my appointment.

I have done CBT and Stress control.

Listening to downloads reading, anything to help.

Wish you luck anytime you want to chat I'll be here x

• Posted

Hi Maureen. This is a very lonely illness and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.....it's bloody agony! I do try to sort my thoughts out, but as you say, sometimes it's easier said than done.

How long have you been taking Citilopram and how did you get on with CBT?

Thanks for your support and I'm here too if you need anything x

• Posted

Hi Maureen. This is a very lonely illness and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.....it's bloody agony! I do try to sort my thoughts out, but as you say, sometimes it's easier said than done.

How long have you been taking Citilopram and how did you get on with CBT?

Thanks for your support and I'm here too if you need anything x

• Posted

Hi Claire

Thanks for your reply, it's always nice to chat to other people that actually understand. ☺

I have been taking Citalopram since January and I get on well with them, with no harsh side effects.

I done CBT several years ago, but as it was first time ever knowing about cbt, it helped me a lot, it's all about getting rid of the negatives and following the positives.

I do have a book on cbt, and do read it quite often, but I would recommend it to you.

Take care, chat again soon I hope 😊 x

• Posted

Hi Claire

The book is cognitive behavioural therapy for dummies, the authors are Rhena Branch and Rob Wilson. You're welcome x

• Posted

I take 60mg! I would think the 40 should be kicking in my now - give it another week and maybe go see your doc to increase it further or try a different ssri???
    • Posted

Hi Louise, I'm just praying that some of my clear patches are a sign of improvement as I'm too scared to change meds, especially as they had helped me so much before. I guess I have to be more patient but its hard.

Thanks for replying, really helps x

• Posted

I'm the same, too scared to change as it might make me even worse. What are your anxieties centred on? Do you know your triggers?

Lxxx

• Posted

Hi Louise. Mine wasn't exactly a trigger but came after a traumatic and devastating family revelation which brought back all my old symptoms with a vengeance! What about you?x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.