4 weeks on 10mg Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone. Hoping you guys can help. It has now been 4 weeks of taking 10mgs of Citalopram. I'm still struggling. At first I was taking the meds at 8pm and would wake up feeling completely disoriented in the morning, like I couldn't even concentrate. This would last a couple of hours and would ease up a little. Switched to taking it in the morning and it has helped with the disoriented feeling a little.

I'm still struggling with if I should continue with these meds. My GP would like me to continue on 10mgs for another two weeks.

Some days I am feeling extremely shaky. Like my entire body is shaking on the inside. My heart is not racing but my whole body is shaking. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also still struggle with concentration. I have the feeling of being detached. After I take the medication I get that spacey feeling still that lasts almost all day. I also get a weird tight feeling in my head every night. It's not a headache but more of like tightness (I'm not sure if this makes sense)

The one thing that is getting to me is the low moods: like I have no motivation to do anything and there is no enjoyment in anything. Someone could tell me that I won a trip to Hawaii or something and I still wouldn't want to go lol. I just can't get out of my head with thoughts.

Has anyone experienced the low moods while on this medication? Does it get better?

I did have a rather good day yesterday but again today I am having really low moods. Like I want to cry for no reason even though I don't cry. 😫 It's just frustrating because my day was so much better yesterday. Sometimes I feel like I was better off without taking these meds. Can somebody tell me this does get better or do you think the Citalopram isn't for me?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

You just described my experience to a T. Stick with it. It does get better. Took me 6 months of pure hell to start feeling like my old self. Been on 20 mg now for two years. That "I don't want to do this anymore" feeling will go away in time. I hated that shaky feeling feeling the most. Plus I didn't want to leave the house. Couldn't go to work for 6 weeks. It really sucks. But I promise, there is a light at the end. Please feel free to talk. I was writing this same post two years ago.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi ace. Hang in there. You said yesterday was good so that means the meds are working. The good days will become more and more. I was recommended stress manager by Blackwell as that reduces the heart racing feeling. I have found the oil Melissa (lemon balm) to be helpful

I use this in an oil diffuser and breathe it in. When my kids are doing the usual high octane stress inducing stuff I am quite calm while I breathe in the magic oil. When you feel stronger it would be a good idea to work on cognitive behaviour therapy and mindfulness. This helps to look at your patterns of behaviour. The best thing to know is that you can. Get through this one day at a time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hang on in there, it takes time to get into your system, i took it for 9 years, it did take a while to get into my system and a gradual process to feeling better and enjoying my life and my family.  I felt like you in the pre days, had no interest in anything.  give it a few more weeks!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Ace

The med sound for you. I think you need to speak with your GP to adjust the dose if needed. I believe 20 is the best for you but that is up to your GP.

The full effect of the dose is from 6 to 8 weeks. And your med start to kick in and it will get gradually better for you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm going off of cit.  I was on 40 mg - now down to 10.  Yes, I've had the feeling of shaking on the inside many times.  I would follow your doctor's orders and take it from there.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

These meds can take months, so don't just give them another 2 weeks .... give them another few months.  Everyone recovers at different rates, though a lot seems to find 3-4 months is when they notice changes happening.  It took me 6 months to recover from 16 years of illness.  If your doctor says you'll be better in 4 weeks, take that as 4 months.  It takes a long time for us to become ill, and so it'll take a long time for it to reverse the other way.

Yes you'll feel tired, have no motivation, might have weird thoughts, heightened anxiety, insomnia, lack of concentration and other side effects.  These do wear off in time.

Recovery is often 3 steps forward and 2 steps back - so you'll maybe find yourself feeling well only to then plummet the next day.  Its normal and doesn't mean the meds have stopped working or you need to rush to the doctor to get your meds increased etc.

Try not to over analyse each symptom.  There'll be plenty.  They've all come about because of either the illness / condition or the medication (or both).  They're all under one umbrella - anxiety - and once the anxiety starts to ease so to will the symptoms.

Understanding, perseverance and patience ....... lots and lots of patience.  You will get there.  They do work.

K x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up