4 weeks on fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Ive been on prozac now for 4 weeks. The worst initial symptoms are gone, but i still feel extremely fatigued and tired all the time. I still dont feel better at all regarding the depression and anxiety. Can it be that the meds takes more than 4 weeks to set in and start working?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ed,

I'm not an expert but from all ghat I've read on here it seems it can take 3 to 6 months depending on the person. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Ed

Yes agree - these meds take many months not weeks to recover I'm afraid.  Took me 6 months and know some take longer and the fortunate few it happens much quicker.  However ..... patience and perseverance do pay off.

During recovery you may be up and down with anxiety (the downs being blips) but don't get alarmed thinking you're ill again - you're not.  Its just the way the meds and recovery works.  Recovery is really, really slow, but little by little the symptoms will go and you should start to feel in time.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate. Thanks so much for the encouraging message. After how long on the meds did you start feeling that you might be improving a bit?
    • Posted

Hi Ed

I've been on these twice (am off again now), but the first time I took them it was about 3-4 months when I started noticing changes, and the second time I had different side effects and it took longer to kick it.

For most people its about 3 months.

K x

• Posted

These meds take a long time to kick in I've been in them roughly 3 months and I'm still not feeling 100 persent but have defo seen improvements.. people have told me they are worth the wait ..

Hope this gives you a little hope xx

• Posted

Hi Edd,

It took a good 8 weeks until i felt completely better, but it differs with people. Some may take longer. This is my second time on Fluoxetine, and the first time it only took 4 weeks to kick in, but this time round it took 8 weeks. Hang on in there.

Good luck.

D

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement! It is difficult to stay positive if your not feeling good everyday as you all know. I was first on Lexapro ( escitalopram) for roughly 6 months and then my doctor switched me to prozac. The Lexapro definitely worked, but he felt that i would do better with prozac so iam giving it a go. He put me on 40mg, isn't that maybe a bit to much to start with?

• Posted

Yes 40mg is a large dose to start with. I started on 20mg and i did not need to increase my dosage. I've been on fluoxetine for 18months. May be you shld cut down to 20mg with yr doctors consent. Good luck.

D

• Posted

How long did.it take. To.kick.in.with you ? My doctor has upped mine twice but slowly from 10; 20 and.now 30 .. and still I don't feel 100 percent xx

• Posted

Hi Ed I hope you are better.

At the four week mark, I was in the process of moving and I remember having major major anxiety when I got to the new place new environment etc.. Palpitations and tight chest .. But after the 5th week began it surely became less. I would suggest definitely waiting it out until 6-8 weeks . I am on week 6 and feel better not 100% but better. I am hopeful you will too. Also, if lexapro was working I am not sure why he switched you. But I do know this drug works for many. Not sure of your dosage but I am on 20 mg and what j have learned from people on here is to stick to whatever dosage you're on because each change leads to new side effects .. Hope things improve for you. Prayers for you.

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Thank you for your positive feedback. Are you asking how long the Lexapro took or the prozac? I have not started feeling better on the prozac.
    • Posted

Hi Pinkrozez. Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It helps a lot to hear that there are people feeling the same as i do and managing to beat it. My doctor switched me because i was very tired all the time on the lexapro and he said that the prozac may give me a bit more energy. Iam in uni and can not afford to be tired all the time as i need to study.
    • Posted

Oh that makes sense. University time is so tiring I remember those days! Try to take medicine with a good healthy breakfast each morning. I yawn throughout the day too and feel tired. Taking a daily walk also helps. Also take vitamins. I have been taking b12 and I was extremely low on vitamin d too. Get a full blood work done to rule out deficiencies as those can exhaust you too. How many weeks are you at now on Prozac? Should hopefully see improvement soon. Good luck.
    • Posted

Iam 5 weeks now on prozac 40mg. I take it every morning when i wake up first thing. Ive had a lot of blood checks done, but haven't had my vitamin b12 or vit d levels checked. Iam in the sun a lot so that the reason for not worrying about vit D. Have you been feeling better after taking the vitamins?

• Posted

I think physicslly they did help me. The aches and pains I felt in my joints were definitely from

My magnesium deficiency. Many doctors don't check for that but I was lucky to see a functional medicine doctor that helped me with that. Initially we treated all those deficiencies to possibly cure the anxiety. But the anxiety did not go away Infact then I got somewhat depressed about it all and ended up taking this medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.