4 weeks out

Posted , 8 users are following.

First I would like to thank each and every one of you for your information and support you have provided me these last few weeks..I've never posted but I read daily feel like we are family..I just turned 50 in march and had my TKR July 17 after a year of gel shots arthroscopic surgeries etc..some days I cry other days I'm ok..wow the pain.it's really bad in my lower legs aches all the time?? And in my hip area??doc told me I was going to have to have MUA cuz my rom was only 90..I got it up to 100 in pt am able to ride bike 20 minutes and do exercises..I feel like I'm taking care of a baby my whole day is consumed with thoughts of this knee did I do enough exercises dud I stretch enough etc...is this all normal I still try and be active like before surgery but I feel that life is gone..my youngest son is 15 and he needs his mom as do my other kids.does anyone else feel this way??any encouraging words or help would be apprecitaed..thanks for letting me vent..if you haven't gone through this it's hard to understand..best to all of you..

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You vent all you like, we've all been there. I had new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit behind it) on 24 March. Had long wait for op as considered too young before (Im 56 now) and have now got muscle wastage. Am working hard to correct this. It does feel like all your time is spent exercising, elevating, resting, icing and it is an horrendous journey, one which I didn't quite bank on. You'll see numerous posts on this forum, all of which will make you realise you're not suffering alone.......it's been my life saviour. I'm also menopausal and suffer pain in both my legs, this can be due to lack of oestrogen so I'm off to docs next week to discuss HRT.

Keep up with meds, don't suffer in silence if you need something stronger then ask for it. Dont force exercises, if you dont feel like it then have a day off and just rest, ice and elevate. And remember to drinklots of water to keep hydrated.

Cry wen you feel like it......I've sobbed buckets, even today when I've had hubby and granddaughter with me. I just can't help it and am just going to go with it, it's a great release some days. I've no doubt we'll get through it.....although exactly when is currently unknown, but at some point we'll get our life back.

If "old fat guy" (should really be named "old wise guy") responds listen to everything he says.......he's bloody marvellous and has a very calming influence......and he's been through goodness knows what and makes me feel a wimp! God bless him.

• Posted

Thank you so much..I know good days are ahead..just gonna be a bit of a struggle..it feels great to know I'm not alone and I can reach out at anytime to awesome people like you..best to you and your recovery.

• Posted

Sounds to me like the Dr was jumping the gun a bit. Can't imagine at less than a month our talking mua. I would hate to think the guy was trying to scare you into the proceedure. Even at a young age like you, progress is not going to happen overnight. Stay with the program......don't get excited and hurt yourself moving too fast. Slow steady and correctly is the word. You'll be at 110 in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't expect less than 125 in 3 months.
    • Posted

Thanks ..it was the first thing he said to me at my 2 week checkup..my jaw dropped ..it took a lot of work just to get dressed and into the car for the appt..I don't like scare attics at all so I am out to prove him wrong and I won't need need MUA...today I took the day off from everything no pt no exercises nothing..took my med and just relaxed.

I appreciate you and your response

• Posted

Just as a reference point, what country are you from. I'm from the mid central U.s.
    • Posted

Hi I'm in United States beautiful California!!
    • Posted

Which part? I go to the airport this evening to pick up bro and sis in law coming in from San Francisco.....beautiful but drought stricken bay area.

I have a son Out in the central valley. Another B-I-L in Sacramento.

We live in a southern most suburb of Kansas City on the Kansas side.

• Posted

Hi I live in Southern California in a great town called Oxnard..lol close to beach great weather but it's to damn hot right now especially when your done most of the time..thank god my ex hubby has his own business plumbing heating air...he felt bad and installed a air conditioner now I can recovery in the artic.lol I guess having a tkr has its perks..hehe enjoy your family time. .San Fran great place I took a road trip with my Son there back in May..have fun Thanks for your support
  • Posted

Four weeks is very very early days all sounds normal and in another four weeks will be different. Even at seven months I've had a bad day today. It takes some longer than others and hopefully you'll be fine. Don't overdo it, keep icing and elevating. It's normal to cry and be frustrated after all you can hardly ignore your leg! Spoil yourself occasionally and read this site you will see it's a roller coaster and you have are going to be up and down for a good few weeks or even months. Take it one week at a time
  • Posted

I sure DO know what you mean about this knee process becoming all-consuming!

I am retired, but I have felt like I am BACK AT WORK with a full-time job! Meds, exercise, everything taking SO MUCH LONGER due to having a walker, then cane, maybe also crutches. Showers with a shower stool, taking FOREVER to either go up and down stairs OR having to tell family members what you need or how to DO stuff...Crazy hard!

Maybe try getting on the floor or couch and literally putting both legs STRAIGHT UP against the wall or one of the arms. I do this in my upstairs hallway, and it feels GREAT! Our son is an elite athlete who does Ironman Competitions, ULTRAMARATHONS, and Crossfit Competitions. HE does this EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I figure if it works for HIS overworked legs, it certainly will benefit MINE!

TRY to relax. Your body is an amazing creation, and it will do what it needs to do IF you listen to what it NEEDS. Do not let SNYONE bully you into ANYTHING that sounds bizarre or dangerous.

Keep us posted on your progress!

There are so many knowledgeable people here who are travelling a path much like you are. It is like this BIG CLUB for KNEES!

Wishing you much success!

• Posted

Easy for me to say but I would ask for more time before having an MUA. Your too new for that. You sound like you're doing brilliantly to me. I was still with operational bruising and swelling at 8 weeks, I appreciate that mine was by no means a 'normal' TKR but still....I think any talk of an MUA prior to 12 weeks when you can get to 90 is ridiculous.

MUA's aren't for everyone. I went in for mine and was told that whilst my bones are healthy, they are too slim to cope with the pressure. It turned out it wouldn't of worked anyway as I have issues with the ligaments....luckily my surgeon went in with a camera first as if he hadn't my leg would've broken.

Keep going. You will get there x

• Posted

I think docs are to quick to decide what's best at 2 weeks..I still have bruises and lots of swelling...what was the outcome of your almost MUA are you doing better?
  • Posted

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  I got my TKR February 2015.  I now walk for miles, run upstairs and wear high heels.  I go to the gym and can do squats. You will be active again especially as you were before.  I'm 63 and had hardly been able to walk for the pain. Google kuck
  • Posted

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  I got my TKR February 2015.  I now walk for miles, run upstairs and wear high heels.  I go to the gym and can do squats. You will be active again especially as you were before.  I'm 63 and had hardly been able to walk for the pain. Good luck
    • Posted

wow you sound like dynamite in 6 mths !!!! fantastic not many get to that point so soon well done
    • Posted

Oops sorry I mean 2014 although I was pretty quick at recovering. 8 weeks back to work.  I danced the night away in high heels last November St my daughter's wedding. I't knocked years off me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.