4 weeks post gallbladder surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had emergency gallbladder surgery and had to have a drain for a week. The first two weeks I barely lifted a finger. After 2 weeks i needed to go back to work over fear of losing my job. I work as a rural mail carrier. I drive while delivering mail and packages. I felt perfectly fine for those two weeks but now I am having the same pain I had when i had my gallbladder. Doctors cant give me any answers. Has anyone else experienced what felt to be a gallbladder attack but not have a gallbladder? I scared that I went back to work too soon and am worried that's why i am experiencing pain again.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am having same issues. Do you have pain when you breathe in? Where you gallbladder was? Best of luck! Keep us posted!
    • Posted

I had pain when I breathed in for the first 2 weeks but I assumed that it was just because of the gas they pump you with. That pain went away after 2 weeks.

• Posted

You need to remember you’ve had major surgery and had an organ removed. I didn’t go back to work for 8 weeks and still had pain where the gallbladder was. You’ve had surgical instruments pushed through your abdominal wall and this all takes time to knit back together. Honestly give it a good 6 months and you’ll notice the difference. For the first 6-8 weeks you’re not meant to lift anything heavier than 10lbs due to the risk of getting a hernia. Give yourself time to heal xx
    • Posted

Scottie I wish I saw this sooner my surgeon said 6 weeks then back to lifting. I had a scope done and found I have gastritis and hiatal hernia. It’s not bad enough that it needs surgery yet. Hope it never does. But your right. We heal on outside n think we are fine but the inside takes longer and some ppl take longer than others. Thanks for the post and response guys. Very helpful. I went to Er for pain when I breathe in where my gallbladder was and they found nothing wrong. Lifting and doing too much too soon I guess. Back to taking it easy for awhile. 
    • Posted

Wish I would have waited weeks before I lifted anything but that is water under the bridge now.
  • Posted

I have recently experienced attacks with mine removed 8 months ago. Really don’t think it would be from work or physical activity as this should help. More about diet. I’m going back to gastro dr soon
    • Posted

I guess it affects people differently. My coworker said her doctor told her she eat whatever she wanted and she does. She hadn't had any problems. For the first 2 weeks I ate whatever I wanted and had no problems but now I'm scared to eat anything.

• Posted

sounds as though you have over done it,you can damage your self internally, should not have gone back to work, you have had major surgery,;;; you cannot be sacked if just gone under an emergency operation, gb removal is not a simple surgery as some people make out, it is a major operation, we have lost parts of our body,im nearly two years now still not right,;; you must rest,lots water no fatty foods, all best
    • Posted

Your right but I was and still am on a 90 day probation and they can fire you for anything.
  • Posted

I had my GB removed 4 weeks ago this Thursday. I sell wine for a living so I'm constantly on my feet, bending/stooping over, and lifting cases of wine, which are about 40lbs each. I was told not to lift anything heavier than 5lbs for 4 weeks or so, but when I went to my 2 week follow-up, I was told by my surgeon, "If it hurts, don't do it." Like everyone else has said, you had an organ removed! Just because those stitches and incisions on the outside are all healed and good to go, doesn't mean that your internals are back to the way they were before surgery. AND you had a drain, which pushes your recovery time back significantly. Don't overdo it. You really should be taking it easy and doing light work for at LEAST 6 weeks, if not longer. If your job consists of constant heavy lifting, you need more time to recover. Otherwise, you'll give yourself a hernia and risk having ANOTHER surgery to repair it. Remember to BE CAREFUL!

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.