4 weeks since ankle op.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Fractured and dislocated my ankle after slipping on a muddy path 17th Dec 2015  After10 days bed rest and foot elevation in hospital to get the swelling down over Christmas I had 9 screws into fibula and a metal plate and screws into bone on other side of ankle. In a cast for 2 weeks then Xrayed and assessed and another cast put on for 4 weeks. Disolvable stitches and ankle alignment satisfactory.

2 more weeks until consultant visit to assess maybe given a boot.

Very painful for a week after 2nd cast put on but settling down now. Using a wheelchair to propel myself around the house.  Living downstairs but been upstairs 3 times backwards on my bottom pushing up with good leg wearing a trainer for grip. Good exercise!

Was initially given a zimmer by hospital but very unsteady and not confident on crutches. Will hopefully use them when allowed to put some pressure on injured ankle.

Some nights I have to take paracetamol particularly if the ankle has not been elevated enough during the day.  I sleep a lot more but presume it is to do with the healing process.  Drinking a lot of milk and a VitD pill once a day with plently of protein foods which I hope will encourage bone healing.

Was very active but not able to do much apart from knitting and sewing.  Try to do a bit of housework each morning but have temporarily employed a cleaner. Thankful it is winter and no gardening necessary yet.

Encourageing to see how other broken ankles progress.  No phsio for me yet but I do Pilates exercises each morning in bed before putting ankle down for another day.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's good to hear from you Iris and you're experiences getting your cast off.  Beryl gets hers off next week and I'm hoping mine comes off the week after that.  I'm following you all.   My pain has dimished a lot in the last few days thank goodness.   Paul you are an inspiration.  smile
    • Posted

Glad to hear you ladies are all making good progress.

Just try to remain as positive as possible, I know it's hard sometimes.

We will all achieve our goals

Thank you syneig for your kind comment

• Posted

Iris - how was your first week out of plaster?   I get mine off in a week, wondering what to look out for.  

Sally - my wee cat was found a couple of days ago.  He'd been trapped under the next-door neighbour's house for 12 days.  Never made a noise.   He's only been a few metres away from where I sit all day with the door open.   If he'd made the smallest noise I would have heard.   he was dehydrated and is skinny, but he'll be ok.  It's been such a relief.  

How is everyone going.  Beryl?

• Posted

That is such good news, I wanted to ask you the other day but didn't want to upset you.  They are little tinkers aren't they with all the worry they cause!  I doubt he will be leaving your side at all  now!  You will come on leaps and bounds now with your recovery now the worry has gone!  How are  you doing?  I took a pair of shoes to work with me the other day with a very small heel, and managed to cross the office before kicking them off and putting my faithful brogues back on!  However as one of the young girls in the office said after watching me,  grimancing, I've come a long way from staggering around on crutches in my cam boot!
    • Posted

Hi syneig

So glad youf  found your cat. I have a little dog and he is such good company. He only has 2 walks a week with a friend  but seems to have adapted to staying in the house like me.

Hopefully my cast will be removed at the hospital this afternoon and will let you know what happens.  I am a week ahead of you and I found this last week much more comfortable in the cast but occasionally I have had nerve pains which made my leg jump.  All part of the healing I suppose.

At least we haven't missed anything outside with the dull days of wind and rain and have Spring to look forward to when hopefully we can hobble into the garden!!!

• Posted

I broke my ankle in 8 places and dislocated it 4 weeks ago. Surgery with screws and plate 3 weeks ago. I was in a splint until last week, now in a cast. I am non weight bearing and will continue to be for the next 4 weeks at least. I also use a wheelchair around the house. No matter what I do, it seems like if I am up for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, the swelling begins to become very uncomfortable. The pain is worse at night, which is when I give in and take pain meds. This is so difficult. I won't start therapy until after the cast comes off.
    • Posted

Hi leelee

I know just what you are going through but it does get less painful.

After having this cast put on a month ago it was more painful than with the previous cast put on after my operation which was a similar proceedure as yours.  I took painkillers again for a few nights to get to sleep. After about a week the ankle began to settle down but if I had it down in the day for any length of time I suffered more at night. I kept it raised on the arm of my wheelchair while sitting in another chair but got up every hour so the knee didn't get fused!   After about 3 weeks I could move my ankle in the cast a bit which I think meant the swelling had gone down but couldn't do that at night.

For the last month I have stayed in the house using my wheelchair to move around downstairs and have been upstairs about 8 times on my backside going up and hopping holding onto the hand rails going down.

Yesterday was the last time I had to inject myself in my tummy flab to prevent blood clots and my tum is covered in pin pricks having injected every day for 6 weeks.

This afternoon I go to the hospital with my leg still raised in an ambulance and hopefully the Xrays will show the ankle healed enough to have the cast removed and start weight bearing. I will let you know what happens on my return

It is worth keeping your leg raised all day becasue it does prevent too much pain at night and gradually as the weeks pass you will notice improvement. Keep bending your knee and I do body exercises in bed each morning before getting up e.g.trunk curls, cycling in the air. I m 71 next month but was quite fit before this thing happened and am not overweight either.

Try to find something different to do each day and I have found the support of my friend so helpful for moral.

• Posted

Thank you bery49544, I appreciate your help. I was beginning to think something was wrong because it kept swelling. I try really hard to stay busy, the first couple of weeks I thought I was going to lose my mind. I have never been laid up like this.
    • Posted

Leelee1022. It's normal for your ankle to swell. I was told at physio and orthopaedic clinic that non surgery the swelling lasts up to 3 months, surgery  with "hardware" can take up to 12 months. It's good that you are staying positive by keeping busy as its really easy to fall into the trap of doing nothing. It is hard when normally are active as I was to zero. It will get better, I'm 18 weeks since surgery and back to normal art from my limp and swelling, but I'm still having physio so I accept that it will take time.

Good luck and stay positive

• Posted

Sally it is a MASSIVE relief having him back. I lost so much weight the neighbours kept bringing me food to try to tempt me. It was so awful sitting here staring at the spot outside in the sun where he used to play and being unable to do anything to look for him with this stupid ankle! But all good now. Both of us are sleeping and eating and sleeping and eating lol. And I usually only have one hand to do anything as the other is usually wrapped around him he sticks so close now.

Wow – little heels! It's amazing how big the little things are yes? The first time I managed to sleep just a little on my side felt sooooo lovely.

OOOO Beryl – cast off this avo! Mine also has been much more comfortable this past week, except for those weird pains that seem to come on late afternoon for me. Are those nerve pains? They are so weird and a bit scary to me. Paracetemol doesn't seem to do very much to them. Tramadol helps but I try not to take it if I can help it. I'm in New Zealand so I've missed the whole summer! Bugga lol.

Linda – thankyou so much for your well-wishes for me smile. I was really distressed, but the experience has made me grateful and much more positive now. What's a broken ankle when your wee cat might be dead eh? I can put up with the ankle and work at getting better!

Leelee – yes – night is when it hits yes? I too give in at night with the painkillers. I have to say that after reading everyone's experiences here, I've been careful to keep my leg well elevated most of the time. I don't think I've had it 'un-elevated' lol for very long at all. Even in the loo I've got a stool I put the leg up on. Although a friend took me out last week to see my wee horse for the day and that was a few hours drive in the car where I had it down. I stuffed myself with painkillers that day and for the 2 days after and I was ok. Phew! But keeping it elevated most of the time really helps with the pain I think.

Hope we hear from Iris soon....

• Posted

Cast free at last!  I had it removed yesterday and the Xrays show the bones have healed well and also show the numerous screws and plate. The wounds on either side of the ankle look scabby and I have been told to bathe them in just water and a drssing isn't needed. The scaly wizened leg is being moisturised with baby oil.  Taking the first step weight bearing is an experience because it is hard to believe after 8 weeks being imobilised that it won't collapse but it didn't and felt good.  I have some pain but it is bearable without pain relief but the ankle is oh so stiff and a bit swollen too. 

I have been using a wheelchair but now manage crutches although it is hard on the hands with the pressure needed to support the weak leg and ankle.  My consultant has ordered physio and marked it urgent so expect to go in a few days.  That will be the painful bit when the ankle is forced into movement but I will let you all know.

As others say it is slow progress but now the cast is removed I expect and hope that each day brings improvement.

You are very brave syneig travelling a few  hours in a car to see your horse but I bet it was worth the pain afterwards.

The sun is out today which is a tonic so keep postive everyone.

• Posted

That is the best story that your cat was found after 12 days and how much harder for you that you couldn't go look everywhere for him.  Having the broken ankle is enough on our plates without losing our lovey pets.  I have a very sweet mini aussie that we got from the rescue.  He is so grateful to be here and I would be so sad if he were to get lost. Your's is a heartwarming story.  
    • Posted

Well done Beryl.. I'm really pleased to hear you good news.

The first steps do feel strange and you will have strange sensations, don't worry, it's normal and will become less as time goes on. I used to feel pins and needles when doing my exercises, but that disappeared. My achievement was being able to climb the stairs, not on my bum 😊 The crutches did start to pain my shoulders, but again that disappeared, so again, try not to worry, it's normal. The physio will be ok, it may feel strange as they got me walking with my canvas shoes rather than the boot, again I felt pins and needle sensation. I became more positive once the boot was removed and walking & driving, as I had convinced myself that I would never walk again. I'm still having physio which has gone from weekly to fortnightly and now every three weeks. I am certain that you will see progress on a daily basis. Good luck

• Posted

How long til you could walk without pain and swelling?
    • Posted

It was 2 months post op before I was walking without pain, initially it felt like broken glass, the pins and needles sensation, but this is your foot waking up after resting and not doing much. This doesn't last long, I massaged e45 into my foot and ankle, which gets the circulation moving and helps with loose skin. The swelling is still present, some 18 weeks later, but reduces when I'm home from working 10 hours and after bathing in warm water, then massage, and an elasticated bandage as support, not forgetting keeping your foot elevated whilst in bed. Hope this helps Leelee
    • Posted

It does help, thank you. I am so afraid I won't be able to go back to work. I work on my feet for 8 hours a day and walk probably about 5 miles. I love my job and the thought of not being able to do it really scares me.
    • Posted

So happy for you, I can't wait to be cast free. Were you able to stand on it right away? I had a friend tell me that she fell at first.
    • Posted

I work for a major car hire company which is very demanding on your feet, I will be honest and say I thought my working days were over.

I became negative, staying in bed till 10am then just coming downstairs, having breakfast and watching tv.

I couldn't afford not to work so made the decision that I would work,and walk, drive and do all the normal stuff I had previously done prior to falling getting out of the shower!

• Posted

Hi leelee,

You will most likely be put in an airboot after the cast still using crutches or a walker.  Then, you will gradually wean out of the boot.  It's gradual.  You're leg will need to be awakened. I am at 18 weeks post op. I can walk in a regular shoe, but I still have some pain and stiffness. It gets a little better everyday. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.