4 weeks tkr

Posted , 13 users are following.

4 weeks tkr,I blogged here before yet got very little feed back. Please help. At 4 weeks my bend only 65- 70 %,I just started PT 3 times a week ,this Monday Aug 1st my staples will come out.I'm just so worried about my bend.I do my excise at home ,Ice all the time I'm up moving around I even started doing squats the best I can trying to bend.It's so hard it's like it can't bend .Is there anyone that could give me some helpful hints on this..I love reading on here its been a rough road .Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Your stitches are in a long time! One they come out it will be much better, less tight. Once pt starts there will be great improvements. Keep moving and good luck. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When is your next check up? Ask your md or pt for help! You have to push it! Maybe you have scar tissue and need to have it removed. Seek help from medical professionals. Good luck and best wishes.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Feather, I am just over 4 wks and my bend isnt that good either. I thought my leg was quite straight until I looked in the mirror and realised that its not! I cant sleep as the pain and discomfort is even too bad to do the excersises that I was shown in hospital. Im seeing a physio in hos for a quick ap until I finally get referred properly. I feel thats its been a much rougher road than I anticipated but clinging on to the hope that it will get better tho still getting episodes of crying. Theres a good link on Chicos post but dont know how to send it to you its given me so much encouragement hope you can find it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A long time to have staples in, did you have underlying problems, my staples came out on day 14. Keep exercising 3 times daily and ice and elevate regular, my first tkr was 85 at 6 weeks and i was in a right state mentally,. But with exercise and time it's now115 and doing well at 12 mths. It's not a quick recovery it takes time and patience

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anne,

I ant understand why you still have staples at Week 4!!

As for the bending , it all depends what your bending was preop , it will improve obviously but maybe not as much as you want.

I had the same issue bending only at 90, in the end I was able to get to 101 , but I can walk and do most things , however the stairs I have trouble;(

Ask your doctor for an opinion , maybe you need a manipulation as you could have a built up of scar tissue, massaging helps.

Hydrotherapy also helps a lot and you don't have to pay just look up on u tube and then join your local pool. It is frustrating even now after 5 months I still get stiffness on my knee

All the best

Maria

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had disolvable stitches in and found it hard to bend but with persiverance i can now bend 85 %.my main wworry was if i bend it to far will the scar sit open as the skin would go so tight but im now 5wk on from tkr and im now managing with 1 cruth.just take it easy n just keep doing what your doing .it will get better.good luck.xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, was there a reason you've had your stitches in so long? Never known it to be 4 weeks, think mine were 12 days. Anyway, as soon as they're out you'll feel much better, the tight feeling will go. If and only if you have fully healed then apply a liberal amount of Vaseline to the scar and the whole knee, twice a day. This will help the scar heal and dissipate the swelling. You should find doing your exercises much easier to. One thing that helped me with my bend is to put the bad leg on your 1st stair and lean into it. Do that ten times, three times a day. Plus what your Pt has given you. Hope this is of some help. You will feel better soon. ??

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Feather, I know exactly how you feel, I am 4 weeks on Tuesday and my bend is 75% and i freak out about it all the time.  I am trying to take everyone else's advice and listen to my body and not compare .... I do the exercises religiously but would be happy for a degree of improvement... I'm not counting in 10 s of degrees.  I couldn't attempt squats for the life of me.  My surgeon also said that I cant expect a full bend when i haven't been able t achieve that for 30 years, so I think we have to aim for the maximum we can that gives safety and stability.   I have got glue, not staples, but I expect it will feel a lot better when they come out.

Don't be disheartened, talk to the forum as much as possible, NOTHING is more helpful.  Be gentle or you will end up swollen up and having to elevate and ice and rest for a day or two, which is what happened to me!

Wishing you a better day or night, depending on where you are in the world.

Best

Susie

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I'm almost 3 weeks post op. I'm only able to get to 65-70 degrees. It's very troubling to me as well bc I get the impression that my pt thinks I should be doing more. If you can find my discussion title, cpm question, I got some great feedback and good suggestions. Hope you feel better soon!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Now that you are in physical therapy, your bend should increase more rapidly. I can't believe it's taken this long to get you into therapy. Talk to your therapist. They are the best source for what exercises to do. For now: Heel slides heel slides heel slides.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I am 18 months post op and remembering back I can tell you I never measured my bend didn't do any exercises until week 2 as too much pain and didn't go to physio until about wk 9...and then I only went twice! When I went for 6 week check I thought I would need a manipulation bit longer and behold he said my knee was at 90° and doing brilliantly. My best exercises were siting on the floor and bouncing my knee up and down gently to try to get it straighter...hanging my ankle on the arm of my sofa while laying down for a few mins at a time...or sitting on a chair with foot on tray or skateboard and moving leg back and forth as much as would allow. I never iced as hated it but used hot water bottle at night instead as sleeping was horrendous. I wished I hadn't had it done but now...oh it was well worth it...would I do it again...yes I would...hang in there and don't worry xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up