4 weeks today - so far so good??

Posted , 6 users are following.

As stated, Im 4 weeks out today from Revision TKR of my right knee, the primary TKR was 2 years ago.

I started Physio at the Hospital this week and when I got measured at my first session on Tuesday I was at 75 degrees bend, and -10 degrees extention. Worked like a trouper in my session, and then carried on with my usual exercises at home the following day. Session 2 was yesterday, and I was re-measured - still 75 degrees bend, but 0 degrees extention!! Cant believe Ive got it straight so quickly, Im really pleased (but I'm guessing that when I was measured on Tuesday I maybe hadnt "warmed up" enough and that I was maybe a little better than -10...) and Im feeling pretty hopeful that this time around its all going to go according to plan!

Hope everyones having a (relatively) comfortable day, gentle hugs going out to those who need one xx

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm nearly 14 months post op TKR on right knee.

It's been a nightmare of a year.

Now been told I have muscle waistage at the side of my knee and hydrotherapy sessions should help.

I've had one one to one physio session last week and did a couple of exercises which helped with my balance.

However, the last two nights the pain in my knee has been constant so I've had only brief snatches of sleep mainly from exhaustion pain or no pain.

Can anyone tell me what's going on - they keep saying the prosthetic is fine but I'm beginning to wonder if the size was all wrong for me

Mary

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Terri,

Your doing really well with recovery.

After about six weeks, most people are walking comfortably with minimal assistance. Once muscle strength is restored with physical therapy, after  kneejoint replacement surgery we can enjoy most activities (except running and jumping) with a lot less pain and resume normal activities with caution. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I disagree as I just had this conversation with my OS today, With the enormous bell curve of TKR recovery your biggest percentage go through a long recovery. Also, obviously subject to many factors, including how bad the knee was before. Since this was a revision surgery she obviously landed on the other side of the bell curve.

Cannot tell you how many posts I have read with patients feeling like failures or worried that something terrible is wrong because they are not walking on their own etc. I for one feel blind-sided because I was not informed that there were tow sides to this coin. And you do get those that play golf at 6 weeks. I have met them. Praying I am one of those when I get my right knee done.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are absolutely right Milla, not everyone is a 'spring chicken' at 6 weeks! But to play devils advocate, myself and 18 other people had TKR or BTKR on the same day! It is an operation performed at the treatment centre I attended, daily! Perhaps we are the 'odd ones out'??

I hope your 2nd TKR is better than the first! I've no idea when or even if I'll get my other knee done! Things in the NHS are not looking good! I can't get my discharge appt so that I can go for knee 2 until October!!! Should have been June!

Still limping!

In that note ....

Marilyn

XX

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So happy it is going well! Going for 14 weeks and things are slowly getting better. Somehow always managed a straight leg but gained and lost flexion too many times to count. Keeping at it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done with your extension Terri!  I often wonder if the journey to physio makes a difference and makes it harder!  I have an hour to get to mine - although only go once, at six weeks to get signed off, but if I've been in the car all that time I'm not sure what results they'll get!  I know I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs now, because you've been through it before, but having discovered the wonders of heat last night before trying that bend again I'm preaching it to one and all now, so have you tried warm wet flannels for 10 to 15 minutes before trying the bend?  It worked for me:-)))  But I do wish you good luck, with whatever works for you!  I've started using voltarol three or four times a day too, thanks to this group!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done Terri it's good to hear someone doing well. Long may it last!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up