4+ years and still suffering - please someone help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello friends

I am a 36 year old male. I have been healthy my whole life. I've never had surgery or any serious illness aside from the occassional cold. I never touch medication and have rarely needed to see a doctor. There is no history of serious illness in my family and my grandparents are in their 80's and still going strong. In fact my great grandmother only recently past at 94.

I have been suffering from who-knows-what. I have seen many different doctors who have subjected me to countless tests. I've had blood tests, urine tests, ECGs, 24-hour heart monitors, ultra-sounds etc and 4+ years on I am no further along in discovering what is wrong with me. Urine and blood comes back negative for problems. All mt physical tests come back normal with doctors and nurses often telling me I'm in great physical condition. And yet I am suffering.

I don't notice the symptoms during the day but at night, especially when I lie down ready to sleep the symptoms start. Heart palpitations pounding in my chest, dizziness, cold sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, thoughts of hopelessness etc. In addition to the tests mentioned above I've had blood pressure tests, iron deficiency tests etc and all is fine.

I've forced myself to exclude sugar from my diet for months. I drink only filtered water. I eat clean and healthy. I even lost 4 stone. Nothing makes any difference. This is ruining my life. I am tired all the time I closed my gym (I'm a personal trainer) as I didn't have the energy to train my clients or train myself plus I was an emotional wreck. I'm running out of savings, still have student loans to pay and I'm finding I no longer want to leave the house. To do so might put me in a situation where I have a panic attack in public. I don't know what else to do. Nobody seems to know what is going on and I've lost faith in the medical professionals.

How do I get my life back?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coreza,

Has anyone spoken to you about anxiety? ?? You seem to have been testwd for everything else!!

• Posted

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I was given a page with 10 questions on it once. I filled it in handed it back and was told "6/10 yip, you have anxiety". This doctor prescribed Proponopolol to me and for the next two days I was in a permanent state of confusion. Both nights I had severe hallucinations where I was dead but somehow still concious and was being tormented by voices. It was terrifying and both mornings I woke up with my side of the bed soaked. I decided to stop the medication. I am terrified to try any further treatment as I wouldn't wish those hallucinations on my worst enemy. I get panic attacks just thinking of the incident sad

• Posted

Thats pretty rough going and i can totally under stand why you would be scared to try anything else.

I have been suffering on and off for around 8 years now. I am currently goimg through a bad patch at tje moment and have for the second time in my life started takimg citalopram. It was a god send for me forst time around and i am just waiting for this lotbtp kick in properly.

Apparently its the most well tolerated of all ad's. I have had very little side effects.

I would go back to speak with your GP and if you dont like the idea of meds ask for some counseling...that alone can be a massive help. I would also recommend the book...living with it. Its a light hearted and funny read, but makes a lot of scene.

• Posted

It is sad to hear how so many are suffering from this horrible condition. What's worse is nobody seems to know how or why it happens.

I went to emergency services the other night after suffering chest pain and a pressue on my chest / difficulty breathing. The nurse recommended the same book. Am going to get a copy of it now. Thanks and all the best wink

• Posted

Try an anti anxiety med..you need a dose that fits what your going through..best at this are probably psycologists,not a gp.I take an anxiety med and it helps tremendously.no side affects either. Plus it lets me sleep.
    • Posted

Im on propranalol and I get all sorts of negative thoughts all day. Things like going to the shops on my own and not coping with the experience as theres no one there to meet me. I cant think of anything pisitive at all. I wake up with no thoughts in my head and then think what should I do now. I have no routine so I look for thing to do but in my head theres this negative thoughts that the world is against me. My nemory is really bad and I sometimes have a headache in the left side of my head.
  • Posted

Hi young man..don't lose heart...it can and will go

..have you seen a RHEUMATOLOGIST AND BEEN TESTED FORFIBROMYALGIA ?...you have every symptom of it...even down to the depression.....I was exactly the same as you for two yrs....I was diagnosed 18 months ago.....

Have a word with your GP....big hugs young man....I pray you find the answers..xxxx

• Posted

I have had a panic atack in public and guess what,they never even noticed.I had my first panic attack around 27 in a grocery store.Back then the words panick attack werent even used.I found out myself through reading..no internet like now and no im not 100,im in my fifties.Honestly anxiety is so common now days its nothing to feel ashamed of.I read alot about it,read Lucinda Bassett,really some good information.Exposure to what makes you anxious can be your best friend in this.I dont have many panic attacks anymore but I still have anxiety.The worse thing you can do is fear your symptoms.Seek counseling,read,live your life and if necrssary get a prescription for medication.Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.