40mg Citalopram HELP!!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was on 20mg of Cit up until Christmas, when I started to get bad anxiety again.

I went to see my Doctor on the 23rd and she upped my Dosage to 40mg. This at the moment is making things worse! I feel more anxious and suicidal thoughts have lingered and I have cried a lot in frustration.

Please can any one tell me when the good effects start to happen??

It is coming up to a week now and I haven't slept well at all!

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Go back to your doctor please. Suicidle thoughts are not good and you sound really stressed! Leaflet does say if you have thoughts of suicide to see your doctor asap. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply, I have gone back and the Docs said it is normal to feel this way and that the Citalopram needs time to take affect.

He has given me Beta Blockers which I have taken and I also used 'Rescue Remedy Spray' which has helped me get a better night's sleep.

My work is aware and says take the time I need to get better, but I still feel odd and out of it- Only today will tell- just hope the Citalopram start taking affect soon as I am getting scared of taking it!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there!

Hope you're still alive and kickingsmile

Insist on changing the meds and please do not take a higher dose couse if 4omg doesn't work at all 60 wont either + you might get withdrawal symptoms later. Good luck!

It WILL get bettersmile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with you 'Fish'. I had a horrendous experience with citalopram (see my post 7/1 STAY WELL AWAY FROM CITALOPRAM). I only discovered this forum a few weeks ago - I wish I'd known about it when I first took citalopram. I didn't know until now that it causes so much misery to so many people. I felt so alone at the time and was accused by professionals to be overreacting. My blood boils at the memory of it. I too don't want to scare people but I personally think it should be withdrawn from use. Why chance putting yourself through so much hell. As you say, experiment with other remedies. There ARE other ways to get yourself well again. You CAN get better WITHOUT citalopram!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

the dose does sound a little high, takes about a month for the effects to really kick in. my therapist told me everyone has suicidal thoughts, but its whether you choose to act on them. It's great that you told work, that was my biggest mistake in thinking i could keep everything a secret. take some skive time, go for a walk, do the things you enjoy, start to focus on the things you liike.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up