43 yrs old and just had a total hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! i am 43 and had a total hip replacement on June 5 2019. I was in a car accident 25 yrs ago and broke my left hip, at the time i was too young for a THR so they used a plate, screws and was in traction for months. My hip was good until a couple years ago when i developed severe arthritis. I am now 10 days post and doing ok, I have alot of swelling and alot of knee pain. Using crutches currently and cant apply full weight to my bad leg die to knee pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try ice packs,and raising your hip above your heart for reducing the pain and swelling. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Early days for you at the moment but things will improve slowly but surely, as Richard said ice your hip and do all the exercises that you have been told to do to strengthen the muscles of your hip.

If pain and swelling doesn't improve I would probably go see your GP or if that's not possible see the practice nurse.

Whatever you do don't overdo it

• Posted

HI TARA

I had my first hip replacement when i was 30. Swelling is normal , it can take some time even months for it to go completely but it will so dont worry. I think 10 days post op is a tricky time because your body has been through a major trauma. You probably felt so good after surgery , relief that its over plus lots of care and attention! Now its up to you and allow yourself to have some low days, as soon as you are full weight bearing you will quickly forget the recovery phase and be so pleased you had it done .

• Posted

HI TARA

I had my first hip replacement when i was 30. Swelling is normal , it can take some time even months for it to go completely but it will so dont worry. I think 10 days post op is a tricky time because your body has been through a major trauma. You probably felt so good after surgery , relief that its over plus lots of care and attention! Now its up to you and allow yourself to have some low days, as soon as you are full weight bearing you will quickly forget the recovery phase and be so pleased you had it done .

• Posted

hi everyone, three weeks on wed! thanks for all the support, swelling is much better and so is knee pain. i was wondering if everyone who reads this will post how far along they are and what percent of ROM they have gained. Mine is pretty limited but still much better then before Sx and so glad not to have hip pain anymore. I currently use one crutch. Still cant walk without and I am trying not to gi to fast in hopes of preventing a limp

Tara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.