5 days in to TKR - worried re pains

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have almost no pain in the actual joint , discomfort from the large amount of swelling but terrible shooting and spasm cramps in the hamstrings and calf muscles has anybody else got this and any relief apart from ice and drugs?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

5 days after a major surgery like this...do what you are doing, take your pain meds and don't worry. If you are doing physical therapy go slower, do what you can and not pushing....
  • Posted

hi Elizabeth I am nearly 7 weeks post op and also had the shooting pains you speak of. I still have an awful lot of swelling even though I ice at least 3 times a day. It is very early days for you, but these shooting pains do subside after a while so as Joy said, do what you can  to try and ease them - medication and ice! Also, keep the stockings on to help prevent dvt. I also found massaging the calf muscle helped.  Hang in there, it really does get better. X
  • Posted

Hi, I am 12 days in and same here. Knee joint not too bad but thigh and foot are giving me a lot of pain.  I just keep taking the drugs and use my ice pack every hour.  feeling very low today, just wish the pain would ease up. 

I am sure things will get better but never thought ot would be this bad. 

• Posted

Hi Nikki. I know how you are feeling. I have days when I feel so depressed that I have just sat and cried like a baby.  It does get you down that you had so much pain before the op and now you have even more!  It is the worst pain imaginable! BUT, it does get more manageable.  Everyone advises to take pain relief and keep icing the knee - it really helps.  It will get better but unfortunately it is a very long process. You will have good days and bad but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep doing your exercises but don't push it or over do it - take things steady. You will get there. All the best xx
    • Posted

Hi ruby, thank you for your kind words. At this point I really regret having it done, the pain is like nothing I have experienced and like you I end up in tears every day. But I do know I could not have carried on like i was. A bit anxious today travelling home from my mums. An hour im the car but I cant wait to get home.

Nikki

X

• Posted

I am going to be discharged today - come on the long term outcome has got to be worth it! I have had 7 ops in 41 years on mine and I'd agree the pain in dreadful but if the end result is pain free then it's worth it - I am not looking forward to the car journey or stairs at home but then I also won't be woken up just at the point I fall asleep to be given pain killers so I can sleep and I will get some decent food!
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, Aww good luck with your journey home. I am like you... 10 ops and this one will be the last!!! Otherwise I did say I was going to have stern words with my lovely consultant in six weeks. 

You will be shattered after the journey but hopefully you will have some nice food. :-)

Take care

• Posted

All sounds familiar . Keep your leg elevated as much as you can . Do your erxercises , but lots of rest . You may need stronger or different pain relief for a while . I contacted my GP about now lol.

keep up the ice x hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I too have shooting pains but mine tend to be from the joint down into my calves and they always tend to start when I get into bed each evening. I am now 12 days post op and still feeling very low and isolated ask live alone and haven't ventured outside on my own yet. I just keep taking the meds and icing every couple of hours. This site has been invaluable I think I would have gone mad without it. Just looking forward(with trepidation) to having my staples out this week. 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne

I'm sorry you are facing this alone, where are you based? Is anybody helping you?

I am dreading the simple things when I get home like stairs and the bathroom - I feel so out if my normal independant comfort zone !

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I'm based in Barnsley my sister pops in every couple of days but she works full time she does phone me a couple of times a day to make sure I'm ok. I'm quite lucky in that I have a ground floor flat so no stairs and I have a complete wet room so bathroom is not too bad. I just feel so useless all the time like I should be able to do more as I am younger (44) than most. I know it's still early days but I still feel really low x
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I'm afraid the pain you describe is quite familiar. I remember having the shooting pains, a bit like sciatica, in the early days. Make sure you get the best pain relief. It will improve as you move about more. Be prepared for pain  in those muscles for some time though. I am 9 weeks post op and my hamstrings and calf muscles still give me jip. It's them readjusting to the realigned leg apparently. It's very early days for you yet. It's a very long recovery process but this site is really great for discussing problems and getting reassurance that what you're experiencing is "normal". Good luck.

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Elizabet, I'm 6 days post op and just waiting for my meds to go home. I have been prescribed Tramadol in place of the liquid morphine. I can't tolerate codeine. Last night was very painful with the shooting pains down my shin and across the old knee cap. In fact nearly everywhere. The staff nurse brought me liqid morphine and and a little tlc. I managed a couple of hours sleep. I think it gets worse as the nerves start to get back to normal.Physio today was not nice.  lol  I think I would be more worried if it wasn't for this site and realising I'm not alone. Good luck for the next phase.

• Posted

Well, I hope you ALL progress with more time, months/years whatever it takes.

I'm 4 yrs post op with hip replacement and OFTEN want my old pain back...my experience has been HELL....

Dealing with bodywide OA and Fibro didn't help doing a trauma surgery....

My right knee is miserable, but swear will not do a replacement or surgery....

These surgeries can be awful.

Many many are now looking at Prolotherapy in the form of PRP and Stem Cells to save them from knee surgeries.....athletes are doing this work for sure....

Sorry for all the misery we endure......j

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.