5 days late?! Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I been on eggshells for 5 days now. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in oct. 2015

Im currently 5 days late can i be pregnant or not?! I heard having a hyperthyroid can stop your cycle. I took a pregnancy test got a BFN. Should i get a blood test done. Anyone ever went through this and turned out PREGNANT? Please help!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Tiffany

I can only being to imagine how anxious you're feeling about this.

I too have Graves, at the time prior to diagnosis and after being very unwell for many years, living at the drs trying to find out what was wrong with me, my periods ceased at the ripe old age of about 40 and I was told for yonks that I was in menopause, garbage!  Now years later I look back and can see such a pattern and feel very sad that not one dr picked anything up.  I also now realise that the cessation of my periods was absolutely due to Graves issues.  Go have a test and put your mind at ease.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. Man this is so scary. No period. Im 32 yrs old. I got diagnosed last year with hyperthyroidism. I went to the doctor last week and they said my thyroid levels were normal. So if thats the case, where is my period? I have another appointment next week. I will keep you posted. This is very therapeutic for me because no one understands in my family because they dont have it. Thanks again for the support.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for your fears x

i have Graves, and I too was fobbed off with menopause assurances when my periods were heavy then stopped when I was 42 .

double Vision-migraine . Palpitations- anxiety . Swollen throat- constant tonsillitis and lots of antibiotics! I felt dreadful for years, a locum spotted my immune disease when I visited after being discharged from A&e for bad shakes,they gave me Valium to 'calm' me , until I was a dribbling wreck..but hey, the shakes subsided!! The locum saved my life, sent me straight for tests...

you can feel very alone with this disease, and you should have back up...see your GP immediately, if you are pregnant, demand assistance, this could harm your baby!

let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Thanks for the support! Went to the doctor preg test negative blood and urine. The crazy thing is my doctor told me my thyroid levels were normal. I dont know what to think. Appointment next week. Maybe it will come hoping fingers crossed. Not having a period at 32 would suck...Thanks again Ms. Jan I will keep you updated because i really appreciate the support
  • Posted

With hyperthyroidism it is common to miss a cycle all together. I know I did many times and even thought I was going through a very early menopause but it turned out to be only temporary. However, you can never assume it is due to hyperthyroidism because of course if you believe you could be pregnant, than you should have a reliable pregnancy test done. Good luck to you. 
    • Posted

Thanks suzanne. I went to the doctor today. They gave me 3 pregnancy test and a blood test. All negative. The doctor also informed me that my thyroid function was normal. So i have a dr.app next week to see what else it could be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.