5 days post op and having to self catheter

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello-I'm new to this group. I'm 42 and I just had corrective surgery for rectocele, cystocele, and hysterectomy for prolapsed uterus. I came home with a catheter which was removed yesterday, but was told I needed to continue to self catheter b/c I am still unable to empty my bladder sufficiently. It's so uncomfortable and my urethra is so sore already, I'm wondering how common this is and how long it generally lasts. Has anyone else had this post surgery issue? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have to cath but I'm sure someone will be on soon to help out. Maybe ring your docs office. Isn't there some kind of numbing gel you can use?

• Posted

Thanks for reaching out Steph. Yeah, they're closed on weekends so I haven't heard back from the on call nurse. They gave me lubing gel but not numbing gel. I can endure the discomfort/pain (all things considered after all), I'm just wondering how normal this is.  It seems counterintuitive to me to keep aggravating my bladder/urethra several times a day post surgery. It would seem like this slows down the healing process??  I dunno. Just frustrated by all of it.  I'll wait to  see if someone else has dealt with this and can offer some insight. Thanks again. :-)

• Posted

Also, the bloating/distention is unreal. I look like I'm 5 months pregnant.  Is that normal?

• Posted

Hi. There. When I had my op they tried taking catheter off on day 3 but bladder wasn't emptying so it was re-inserted. I was discharged on day 5 with it still in and various bags to change and told to come back in 2 days time so they could try taking it out again. When I went back which was now 7 days post op I was very constipated also I hadn't been or even passed wind post op. So my surgeon prescribed me an enema as he said sometimes the bladder won't empty if bowels are pressing on it. So after my emena which was a great relief I started to empty bladder more efficiently. I passed my 3 pee scans and was allowed to go home catheter free.

When they took it out first time and then put back in I was told this was common as the survey was very stressful on the bladder therefore some bladders needed more time to recover than others.

What I'm thinking is that maybe you could have benefited from having it left in a bit longer. I'd also heard that some people have to self Catherterise for a while to allow recovery to bladder. I'm so glad they gave mine more time asni didn't fancy having to do it myself. I'm surprised they didn't tell you how long to do it for and to come back for more bladder scans to see if finally emptying properly. Give them a ring on mon and get some advice. I hope it's not too long.

As for feeling very bloated that is normal. Takes a while to settle down. I'm 6 mths post op and I still feel like that sometimes.

• Posted

Hi Angelica,

This was my only issue. My surgergy was outpatient for rectecele and cystecele & bladder sling. I'm 51. Went home with catheter, next day took it off, I peed, went home couldn't go.went back to Doctor with massive bladder pressure, they did catheter and I had more than 2 lt of urine. They catheter back on went back 3 days later, still could go on my own. At that point I agreed to selfcath. Did that for 5 more days, but I was starting to go some. Very slow drips. Every once in awhile more would come out.. I only did the catheter 4 times in 24, hated it, made me burn.After that I just to toilet a lot. I was so miserable! Even at 6 weeks, I was not emptying complete. The DR said I was retaining 1/3. Long story...... One thing I discovered along the way was the first 4 days I had taken Percocet painmeds, and after that I took Tynol PM to sleep. I discovered after having another episode where I could not pee at all, around 5 weeks. That there is something in both of those that can cause you not to go, or restrict your flow. I stopped taking the trynol Pm, most of it stopped. I'm now 14 weeks out. If I let my bladder get to full, I have a problem with slow flow, until I get it empty. I didn't have this problem before surgergy. It has been by only issue. Everything seems to be healed up, or looks that way.

My doctor didn't thank it was enough of problem when it didn't empty all the way. I never got a bladder infection. But, I took cranberry pills, cranberry juice, and apple cider vinegar to help. Those catheter make you feel horrible! I hope this long story helps. Sorry you are going threw it.

• Posted

Hey Grace! thanks for sharing your story. i'm curious, so you think the pain meds and tylenol pm contribute to not being able to empty out your bladder completely on your own?

• Posted

When I went back at 6 weeks, I had just figured it out threw google that it could. So I think so. I had taken strong meds for a few days at first. Then I was doing the PM meds. When I read that, I stopped, and by the next day I had a more normal flow. My doctor said it's very common in men, not so much in women. Wish I had know earlier so I could tried to see. I'm sure from things moving around it stuns your bladder. It's all very unpleasant. I don't know what was worse it strapped to leg or self cath. Look

Up natural remedies for keeping bladder infection away. You differently don't want one of those. Hope it clears up soon.

• Posted

It can have an effect of retention or not being able to start flow easily. Try to focus on relaxing those muscles as much as possible
  • Posted

Self catheterisation following prolapse surgery is more common than women realise however you shouldn't be suffering from a sore urethra. Have you spoken to anyone on the ward about this because you could introduce infection that way. One of the causes is the wrong size catheter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.