5 months post Knee Replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had a knee replacement in August 15 and generally have made good progress and did not suffer from too much pain. I had a slight hiccup at about 3 months post op and developed some intermittent pain around the knee cap which felt like nerve pain but this disappeared after a couple of days.

The latest problem is stiffness in the outside part of my knee which seems to make going downstairs slightly probelmatic.I have also developed some soreness which seems to come on after going downstairs.

Still have a very good range of movement in my knee, it is just the muscles which are tight and I am quite concerned about the sore, stinging pain which is very localised to a particular spot on the outside of my knee and sometimes feels like a stinging sensation.

Walking is not an issue so I am still able to walk distances.

I am not doing many exercises now and I have been discharged from the physio and the surgeon so it is quite scary to have no one to discuss this issue with, although the surgeon did say to ring him if I did any concerns.

I did go to a Pilates class on Monday and I did spend a long time inthe kitchen cooking on Tuesday afternoon, so maybe I have just overdone things.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Nerve damage is the slowest to heal of any part of this entire proceedure and the coming and going of pain makes it difficult to grasp. I would suggest you reintroduce the excercise program into your schedule as well as massage with some type of penetrating oil or cream. I have always used Vit E as that was the recommendation of my therapist. Continue the ice packs and some form of anti- inflammatory med. Again, on the advice from my surgeon, Aleve 325 mg especially at bedtime. As has been said many times on the site, you a re generally looking at a year minimum for healing to be completed. The more complex the problem the longer the full healing process
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I do not know what I would have done without this site as there us always someone who is willing to give advice and share their experiences.

I do not really think that this problem is worthy of conytacting the surgeon as I do tend to worry about any new pain. I understand that this is a difficult journey, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

I will take things easy over the next few days and go back to the ice packs and exercises.

Thanks again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 6 mths post tkr and am exactly in the same place as you!!! So I'm guessing it's all normal and part of the healing process. I have started to up my exercises again and massage which do seem to be helping, can't believe we are experiencing exactly the same!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your reply. Hope your pains disappear soon.At the moment I am sitting with an ice pack on my leg so hopefully things will improve.

Maybe going to a Pilates class was a step too far at the moment!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up