5 months post op after tkr still in pain when I walk and knee will not straighten

Posted , 13 users are following.

i am 5 months post op from a tkr. My knee will not straighten. And I have pain when I walk. My Doctor said I will see you in November, should I get a 2 no opinion.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been doing physical therapy? Have you been able to bend knee after surgery and it has gotten worse?
    • Posted

physical therapy kicked me out after 5 weeks going 2x a week. They said there was nothing more they could do, plus excerising on my own twice a day, then I got a personal trainer and she gave me new exercises. I exercise everyday except Sunday. I feel no better. And this week it is worse. 
  • Posted

If your doctor will not Address the fact that the knee he replaced won't straighten not only would I get a second opinion I think I get a malpractice lawyer while I was at it . I am 13 weeks po and had both knee done same time and i can straighten them both flat i have a bit of trouble with the bend on my left knee only at about 101 bend but i work it daily. But if my doctor blew me off i would give him one last chance if he doesn't help you can him.
    • Posted

You mucous must have read my mind, that is what I am thinking about.
    • Posted

What I meant to say is you must of read my mind. 
  • Posted

Where did you have it done? Was it NHS or private?

The only trouble with getting a second opinion is they usually have to X-ray it and that's not good for your health.

Where is the pain and have you any swelling?

It should straighten by now. Mine does and I'm 10weeks post op but I am getting pain down my leg. I've had enough of it all actually Marge. My health was quite good generally before this op except for some difficulty walking but now I feel so poorly as if I'm going to die.

I wished I had never had it done

• Posted

Mary

You have the right to take your X-rays anywhere you like ,hated the first doctor they sent me to so I got a new doctor loved him. All I had to do was call and get my charts cost 10 bucks but well worth it.

• Posted

MRI, CT Scans, and X-ray are yours.  I always ask for them........and keep them in a file.  I always ask for the surgical and pathology reports too.  
  • Posted

You have to get a second opinion. At 5 months, you should be feeling better than this. Some people go through manipulation and surgical interventions to straighten the knee. Don't wait until it is too late.
    • Posted

I will find another Dr. Not in his practice and get a second opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Margie

So sorry you are not doing better than this.  By the saying the Bon Secours I am guessing you are in Ireland.  Go and get  a second opinion and get it fast.  There is no way that you shoud be like that.  I am about the same as you and although I still have stiffness when I get up and if I sit for too long. I can walk for miles, and cycle without any difficulty. Bend is great and I dont limp.

I dont think you can give the names of doctors on this forum but if you like I will private mail you mine.  He was excellent.  I am in Dublin.

Get yourself sorted soon as.

Take care

Ann

The Irish One

• Posted

Hi Ann, actually I am in Virginia. I just have to find another Dr. That is not in his group. Thank you
    • Posted

Yes, Margie ...please go get a 2nd opinion.  You deserve to be treated with respect and have a doctor that is concerned.

let us know....good luck.

pam

• Posted

Margie I live in the Richmond area and had as good experience as possible with my dr. I had my knee done in sept. I'll give you his name but how do I do that on this forum?
    • Posted

Good question, I am new to this. Are you not allowed to tell me his name I will take it from there.  Are we allowed to do that
    • Posted

We have Bon Secours in the USA too. My daughter is a CNP with them......lives in Virginia.
    • Posted

Margie I am in the DC Metro area and had an excellent team.......but I did a lot of research.  I basically picked my knee then the doc!  LOL
    • Posted

Well David gave his Dr's name in Chicago so I guess it's ok. I had dr mark jones at ortho va do it at Johnston Willis hospital. Gosh hope he's not your dr. He's such a good listener and very good at explaining what's happening. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
    • Posted

No that is not my Dr. But thank you
    • Posted

Dr. Mark Madden at Ortho Virginia. He teaches the Trumatch and only operates at Reston Hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.