5 Months Post TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

This forum has been very informative and helpful in my recovery over these months. To give back, I offer the following thoughts to encourage others to succeed. First, thanks to a gifted surgeon and intense PT, I have returned to pain free mobility and living. A few thoughts on recovery: after your PT concludes, that's when the real recovery and hard work begins. You must exercise every day. I suggest following the exercise recovery plan Chico Marx, TKR godfather, has referenced on this forum. Make every effort to maintain a health body weight. Your knee will reward you for that. Know you will have both bad, worse, but eventually better and better days. Maintain a positive attitude and give thanks everyday for your blessings. Best wishes and regards, RJ. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So very true!! 11 months hip, 5 months left tkr 8 weeks right tkr. I am getting stronger and push myself daily to exercise and eat healthy.

Thank you for the great thoughts Ranger Jack, spot on.

Feeling blessed.

• Posted

Thanks RangerJack.  Just had my 6 week sign off from first tkr today and waiting for other knee to be done but we were saying on the way home - I feel this is my chance to get really fit when the other one is done, and in the meantime I'll be getting as fit as possible even with the other knee so bad.  The physio reckoned that was what helped me so much before the op - doing the exercises they gave me to strengthen everything.  We really don't have to sit in the chair and spend the day knitting at 70 anymore!  (Well I'm 67).

• Posted

Just to add my words of encouragement...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Yo, RJ...  Just because I'm Sicilian and 69, that doesn't make me The Godfather.  Wait...come to think of it, yes it does.  All I need are Brando's cotton balls in my mouth.

Gratefully,

Johnny from Brooklyn (aka...Louie The Wrench and Frankie Five Fingers)

"Badda bing, badda boom...leave the gun, take the cannoli..."

• Posted

Godfather Chico, Who's sleeping with the fishes? Mikey, tell the girl you love her...tell her if she don't love you, Im a gonna die!! Blood is a very expensive business. Great memories all. Hope all is well with you. NYR beats Le Habs tonight 4/20, aka weed day. 

• Posted

Ditto to everything you said.  I am 3 months post op TKR and back to walking 3 miles, biking and exercise class 2 days a week.  I still ice once a day just to eliminate any swelling.  Keep moving is the key.  Happy healing to everyone

• Posted

Thank you Ranger!! I'm 12 weeks out from my RTKR. I'm finishing 2nd round of 6 weeks of PT. The force bending is aweful, but seeing weekly improvements. So grateful for all the posts, encouragment on this site! I'm going to keep working, stretching and moving once PT is done.

I brag to my PT guys about Chico's posts and advice! They were impressed!!

Cheers to wellness for us all !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.