5 Week follow up discouraging

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well my surgeon took a look at my note from my PT ,and asked why I have such a hard time bending. I said swelling I guess and the top of my quad is spool tight. He proceeded to try and bend my knee and said we need to do a manipulation. He said lots of surgeons wait until 12 weeks, but it's obvious you are battling scar tissue and muscles as hard as a rock. I agreed. My muscles could be like that before surgery from a bad arthroscopic surgery 31/2 years ago, so I guess it wasn't a shocker. So next Wednesday I make the 3 he trip back to the hospital I had my tkr. He said I will have a nerve block again in the knee and light general anesthesia. That I would be out for only 30minutes then they wake me up and I go home. I told him I was concerned about the pain, because they couldn't get it under control the day after my surgery. He said the pain wouldn't be anything like the pain I had to endure from the surgery. I just stopped oxycodone a week ago, so I'll be back on that again, so still won't be able to drive.😥. I will have PT the next morning after . I can't the same day because I live in Maine and the hospital I used for all this is 3hrs away in New Hampshire. Anyone have any advice that has has MUA? didn't think I'd be asking that question!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Spool tight.. not spool!!! 😀😀

• Posted

Darn auto correct. Sooo
  • Posted

I'm curious about this procedure as well.  I'd read about it in a few places, and asked my physical therapist about it yesterday since my knee is having trouble bending.  He told me that I'm way to early worrying about this (surgery was 3 weeks ago).  If this was necessary, he said it wouldn't be for another 4 or 5 months.  Not sure how accurate this is though.

• Posted

Hi angel. Yeah I'm facing the same threat with the MUA. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out with a 98/8 stretch. I negotiated with my surgeon to have 2 more weeks to get to 105 ROM anyway. But yeah I have also had a tough time with knee stiffness, which I believe is due to the arthroscopy I had on it a year earlier. Plus I lived with limited motion and pain for 8 months after that. I've heard good and bad about MUAs, mostly bad.

• Posted

Don't want to make you think twice about the MUA but;

my TKR was may12th began PT right away had no results to speak of, finally convinced the surgeon a MUA was needed and did that on August 8th. I did 4 straight days of PT and then started going 3 days a week which I did for about 6 weeks but still no progress. Now I might be getting another MUA and my doctor has agreed to script a JAS knee extender/ flex machine. I sure hope this works. Oh again not to worry you but I was in more pain after the MUA because less your not on a lot of pain meds and the anesthesia wears off much faster.

• Posted

I know I'm going to hurt more than now. I've been off oxycodone for two weeks, but will be starting again to get through after the nerve block and anesthesia wear off. I don't have much of a choice though .Went backwards from -10/73 to -12/65. At 5 1/2 weeks. I know it was a mess from previous 2 arthroscopic surgeries. My muscles aren't cooperating because I compensated for 3+ years.

I even went to the gym for 6 mos prior to surgery using elliptical and arc machine to prepare, all while not being able to stand straight. I'm sure the muscles have shortened. We are getting ready to buy a house and I need MY ROM back!! I hear from friends MUA isn't easy. Some have had it without anesthesia!! I'll let you all know how it goes. Wednesday morning is the day!!

• Posted

My pt is warning me that if my knee doesn't bend more I may be in the same situation you are in. Please keep us posted how things are going for you and I hope someone in the group can help you with your questions.

• Posted

Bikram yoga is the only thing that has helped me. After MUA and PT finally had enough and decided to be nice to my body. Rented a X10 machine from Halley ortho and started bikram yoga in 4 days (after 8 1/2 weeks of hell) off crutches and off meds. Find out what works for you don't be afraid to try something out of the "norm" I'm 12 weeks out and finally getting back to life. Slow going but in the right direction 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.