5 week post op update

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, some might remember me, I had my gallbladder out 5 weeks ago now and thought I would give a little update to those who might be looking for stories and experiences.

I had been diagnosed with multiple mobile gallstones after have non stop running to the loo and diagnosed with IBS, then constant reflux, GERD and then stomach pain and they finally found gallstones. They are genetic in our family on mums side and I was a UK sz 10-12 so not overweight. I lost 14kg over 6mth an now a UK 6 and tried everything natural working with naturopaths and using herbs and supplements ( except a flush) to help whilst I waited but my symptoms increased causing stomach gas, bloating, reflux, IBS D, stomach aches, nausea and feeling unwell.

Finally 9mths after it all started I had surgery.

I was in a heap of gas pain straight after, but by day 3 I could stop the pain meds and by a week/10 days I could lie on my sides comfortably. 

I lived on broth, homemade jelly and baked fruits for a few days, but quickly found this made me dizzy and very tired and sick, so by day 3 I added chicken and rice and felt MUCH better, my body needed more fuel to heal, especially meat protein.

I am  a great believer in fat being healthy and essential for our body ( hormones, fat soluble vitamins and brain) so added it in slowly, adding a bot of oil, spoonful of coconut yogurt, the odd nut etc.. I have now tried pretty much everything and had no issues with any foods at all. I eat stir fry chicken and rice at home, nuts and seeds, coconut yogurt, sweet potato, roasted seeds in oil and salt, had a few indian takeaways ( i only eat the dry dishes with rice not curries) and even ate out for fathers day eating a 100% beef grilled burger on a low carb gluten free bun with fried sweet potato fries without any issues.

I am normally paleo/keto for the most part and am dairy and gluten free, so have continued this.

My normal daily foods are coconut yogurts with fruit seeds and nuts, chicken and sweet potato or rice with cooked vegetables, dark chocolate for a treat, occasional mince ( I try to limit red meat) roast lamb, stir fry chicken. Lots of homemade chicken and veg or pumpkin soup.

I no longer get reflux, IBS D, bloating or nausea although I do still get gas with some foods.

I find that ox bile and digestive enzymes are essential, they helped me eat again pre op and now post op.

I also take liver support and eat sauerkraut ad coconut water kefir for good digestion support and gut support as well as drink herbal teas

I have also taken the full 6 weeks off work as I am self employed, my nurse friend told me 6 weeks due to all the lifting and I have followed her advice and healed well so far.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your post  makes me hopeful, i suffer from severe stomach bloating irrespective of what ever i eat nowdays.I Initially had lot of reflux  and indigestion. Then Hida scan showed non working gallbladder and later it formed stones. I also got diagnosed with gastritis. My pain is not severe, but my bloating of stomach is severe. I'm hoping removing my gallbladder will solve this issue. How are you doing now ? Appreciate your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.