5 weeks after total knee replacement and knee gives way every so after.

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had a complex total knee replacement 5 weeks ago. My surgeon told me my maximum bend will be 90 degrees which I am little concerned about. I can just get the 90 degress.. my knee Also on accasionsale gives way, I was wondering if this is normal? I am only 41 years old. I still can't walk without a crutch and I struggle with quad exercises. I am still on fairly strong pain killers. I feel that I am not doing great. Any advice please.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle smile

I can understand that, especially at a young age, you would expect faster results. However.....it sounds to me as though you are doing great. After all you already have the 90 bend that the surgeon expects, so any more will be a bonus. Carry on doing the exercises and have as much physio as you can get. You will be stronger when your leg muscles have built up (quads mainly). Incidentally I am still on crutches outside at 9+ weeks, and this is because of weak glutes.....so work on them too in due course.

You're doing great, well done x

• Posted

Thank you so much for the great advice.. I just wished the recovery was faster, I have for 4boys and my oldest is severely pysically disabled with cerebral palsy, and it is becoming upsetting to watch other family members doing most of needs instead of myself😞. I know the knee replacement was for my best . And I will get there . Just worried about the knee giving way! Physiotherapy where I live is really poor, I have only 3 half hour sessions and not got any more for a further 3 weeks. I will just keep up the hard work at home. Thank you again
    • Posted

You certainly have a lot to deal with, Michelle. But you'll be able to care for your family better in the long run....imagine if you hadn't had the operation, others would have had to help then too, and you wouldn't have had the prospect of a positive outcome.

By the way, I have some idea how you feel as I was sold cater for my 95 year old mum until recently. When my health broke down I had to find a care home placement for her....oh how I wish I hadn't had to do that, but I had no choice, I simply couldn't manage her care.....sad

Good luck, you're doing great x

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I had my TKR 4 months ago and believe me when I say, at 5 weeks post op you are in the very early days of recovery! 90 degrees at 5 weeks is great! Even at this stage, I have only got 110 degrees bend and still have to use a cane sometimes.  You're doing really well. Patience is a must. Take care and keep up the good work. biggrin

• Posted

Shannon, 

when you mention manipulation. Does that mean you went back under and they worked on getting range of motion?  How was that?  My surgeon said it’s hard on the patient.

Thanks,

Cathie

• Posted

Hi Michelle.  I am 46 and am about 5 months post op. Prior to replacement, I had 6 surgeries on the same knee over the past 25 years from a bad car accident.  I've always been very active, so I thought I would breeze right through this...boy, was I wrong!  I was 110 degrees prior to surgery & am about 106 now (I also had to have a manipulation 6-8 weeks ago).  Be patient and be positive.  I felt bad about the painkillers also, but used them for PT & mixed 2 Aleve into the day, which seemed to help out.  You'll hit bench marks where you feel much better, can finally sleep well, etc.  8 weeks and 12 weeks were good for me & made me feel like I was progressing.  Its a LONG process & an extremely frustrating one (for me anyways), but stay positive, you'll get there!  Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you Shannon. You also have been through it with your knee. I feel for you. I must say that after the first week, I thankfully had no problems with sleeping. I could easily sleep for 12 hours uninterrupted. However now that my husband is back at work and I have to look at after my boys, I don't get the 12 hours sleep now . I still get enough though. So I do feel very lucky with that. I am so grateful for the wonderful encouraging comments from everyone. I am still worried about the new knee giving way sometimes. Good luck with you recovery you also are doing great.

• Posted

I remember my knee giving out a couple times & I think once you start building your muscles back, you'll be good.  I remember being SO tired & that seemed to ease up around 12 weeks.  Stairs are still an issue (going down), but hopefully that will get better.  I was lucky enough to find this site a week after surgery..super helpful!  As they say, misery loves company smile  Good luck & take it easy!

• Posted

Hello Michelle - I think you are doing really well!   Your knee is giving way because the muscles that support it are not strong enough yet!   I had the same problem, it wouldnt happen all the time and I thought it was the knee failing.  I say yet, because it is early days for you and I started keeping brief notes of my achievements and upsets in my work diary - I look back on them and know I am getting better.   I foster children and one child is long term so it would not have been fair to have taken him from his home just because I was having a tkr, so when I came home i too had to get on with it.

Apparently age doesn't matter with this op in terms of recovery (quote from OS) there are so many different factors.

Good luck

• Posted

Don't give up. As your quad strength increases, your knee will stop giving way. Hang in there and don't quit. Stay positive and be patient.

• Posted

You are doing great! This surgery has a painful long recovery period. My doctor told me he has patients 6 months post op still on narcotic pain relief. It is so worth the pain though. 90 degrees this soon after surgery is amazing! Keep up the good work and remember, all good things come to those that wait.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I am 47 and had my TKR 7 weeks ago. I still can't get 90 degrees but my physio said I should be aiming for 120 at least so 90 as a maximum sounds wrong to me. I'm still struggling with everything. My knee hasn't ever given way but is still very stiff and swollen. Xx

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

90 degrees max is defiantly what he said, even says it on my physiotherapy report. My knee before surgery was in a terrible state. As well multiple fractures in the past to both femur and tibia and fibia and also plate in the same side hip to repair a broken hip. So I'm honestly not surprised . Im just so pleased I found this website everyone on here has been so supportive and very positive towards recovery. I feel 100 times better with myself now. Everyone on here is doing so well . Thank you

• Posted

My knee at times gives a little too. Not enough for me to stumble but I notice it. As long as you are sure your replacement knee is functioning properly, ask Dr for x-ray, it's normal and I'm told it will go away. I also sometimes can hear my knee "pop" and "snap". Apart from not being able to sneak up on someone it's not a problem and might always, snap, crackle and pop!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.