5 weeks no difference

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 20mg Citalopram for 5 weeks now for social anxiety and although the side effects seem to have calmed down I really can't see any difference. I am still feeling the same level of anxiety in the same situations as I was before, and I am still getting all of the same crippling physical effects. I have got a follow up appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks but don't know whether to bring this forward. Should I not have started to see some positive effects by now??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I've been on citalopram for 6 weeks now and have yet to see any difference. But from reading a lot of the threads on here, I believe it can take quite a long time for some people, where as others see changes quite quickly. The general consensus seems to be to stick with it so I am really hoping that at some point it kicks in! 
    • Posted

I hope so too Lynne. I hope it starts to work for you soon.
  • Posted

Hi al, what were your symptoms before starting citalopram?  I found that the physical symptoms subsided greatly, that is sweaty palms, feeling faint, chest pain, though the fear was/is still there if that makes sense.  So for me citalopram is allowing me to face those fears without feeling like I'm going to pass out and die! It's a reeducation for me, learning that I can do these things without the physical reaction.  It's hard, as I still have the desire to avoid it, but I do know that the more I now get out there, the sooner I'll overcome this. Citalopram is holding my hand not erasing years of anxiety driven avoidance.  Hope this makes sense to you, but certainly week 5 is still early days.  have you seen any improvement in any symptoms at all so far?  Xxx
    • Posted

Hi chris, my physical symptoms are a red blotchy rash on my neck and chest. This has not subsided at all. The fear of it or the physical effects have not reduced. Prior to starting cit I had a bit of a hope that I might eventually be 'normal' but now I'm starting to lose this hope too. 
  • Posted

Best I can advise is that by the time you next see your doctor a further two weeks on this dose will have passed and you may see some improvements in that period, therefore I'd give it this two week gap to allow for that.  If there is still absolutely no change by then, discuss it with your doctor, there are various options they make take, ie increase your dose, swap you to another medication, add a second medication for the short term, counselling, etc etc.  Don't despair as with careful monitoring etc., there will be a solution but it does unfortunately take time.  As Chris has said you can't erase what is sometimes years of despair overnight but take heart it WILL get better with the right help. 
  • Posted

Hi Al, 

I am same, 5 weeks in and hanging in there. I got the red rash thing on side of face too, it's so frustrating. I haven't had it for about a week though so hopefully it will go soon. I normally got it at night aftre I took meds, what about you? My anxiety is bad in the mornings especially and the doc gave me some diazapam to see me through, which helps but worried about addiction and cit not taking full effects. But my mood in the afternoon evening is improving and I'm hoping like Lynne said, that the general consesus of sticking with it will reap the benefits soon. Good luck! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.