5 weeks post op and the pain feels like week 1.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. It's now just over 5 weeks since my rectocele and enterocele repair and since last night I've been in a lot of pain. I had been feeling a lot better, just some minor discomfort but last night I swelled up like a balloon down there and I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol every 4 hours. It dulls, but doesn't get rid of the pain completely. I'm considering taking codeine again. It doesn't hurt when I wee and I don't have a discharge. I have been upping my activity levels this week, but no heavy lifting or using the vacuum cleaner. I drove for the first time yesterday, only a mile or so each way. I also had an exploratory 'feel' down below the other night. I'm worried I've done some damage 😞Has anyone else had a similar problem at this stage of recovery? 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 7 months post-op The recovery time is very long No you have not done any damage That's normal I'm not going to lie to you I went through hell for three months First you feel better And then it feels like it's the first week again The key to this recovery Is just stay on the couch with your legs up It's the best you could do After 15 minutes of walking I had to sit back down It feels like from the waist down Everything is falling apart It is part of the recovery You really have to take it slow and easy They make light of the surgery but it's not It is a very long process Thank God I am retired I would never have been able to go back to a job I am Feeling Fabulous now It's like a new start on life I am 60 years old This is the worst surgery I have ever had I would rather have 10 babies Compared to the recovery time Take it easy The key is to rest Do not I cannot stress enough Do not lift heavy things Don't lift anything over 20 pounds Forever I am fully recovered I feel fabulous No more leaking But I will never ever lift anything heavy again Good luck And God bless

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for your comments. I knew it was going to be slow but it's so frustrating! I am on complete rest for today and hopefully I'll feel a little better tomorrow. I'm glad you are now fully recovered. X 

• Posted

Hi Gaynor, don't worry, you will go 20 paces forward and then tumble 60 backwards and yes, the pain can get bad 'all over again' just when you thought this is it.....I've reached my turning point, but no, back on the painkillers again!!   Plenty more rest yet.....legs up on the couch or bed.   Give yourself a few more weeks......you will feel more and more normal in between those weeks.   

• Posted

Thank you, Carole. I'm having a duvet day today in the hope of a better day tomorrow! 

• Posted

I have swelled up as well. I believe that it's just because we are doing more . I rest for a day if it swells up and by the end of the day or the next day it feels a bit better. Just take rest breaks more through out the day. Hope it helps smile

• Posted

Hi I had the surgery just over 3 weeks ago and am still in a lot of discomfort, when I sit it feels like something is protruding out is this normal? Sort of like a tampon been inserted wrong way but a lot bigger and Also still losing discharge? Hope someone can help. Thank you and hope you feel better soon Gaynor
    • Posted

Sounds like normal swelling. I am three weeks post op too, I still have a very light pinkish discharge.

if I walk arround too much or sit down too much as opposed to reclining I get the same feelings. Decided that it is my body telling me to slow down and rest.

I think activities need to be done in small bursts, yesterday I prepped vegetables but took a break before cooking them for example. 

Are you you managing to pass a stool easily with no straining? The bulge feeling feels a little bit like constipation from before the op.

Hope this has been helpful Kat, recovery really is the hardest part about this op in my opinion.

• Posted

Thank you Mossup, you have made me feel a bit better, good luck on your recovery too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.