5 weeks post-op, cannot lift leg.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

Just want to here peoples views. I am five weeks post--op. I was doing very well and physio were very pleased with me. But last week I caught a stomach bug and for some reason my leg went very, very stiff and it was like I was back at 2 weeks!! All very strange.

The stiffness is getting better this week but for some reason I cannot lift the operated leg when sitting or laying. When I was doing this no problem before I was unwell. Physio thought it was also strange! Anyone else have this problem?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it didn't happen to me , but it did to a friend of mine, she could lift it a bit to start but then for some reason she couldn't , this  lasted a couple of weeks . Just keep trying I am sure it will come back 
  • Posted

I'd have a word with your GP it seems as if your body suffered another trauma with your latest illness and put you back again

you need to ask for some professional advice 

good luck and I really hope things get sorted when you get your strength back 

• Posted

It hasn't happened to me but I know when I had a urine infection at about 6 weeks and a cold this week (13 weeks) my leg has felt weaker. I think your body needs to be strong to cope with the exercising. I'm sure it'll improve but get it checked if it doesn't in a  few days, perhaps. 
  • Posted

hi ... i couldn't lift my leg for the first three weeks.  not an inch.  so i can understand this freaking you out.  or it did me but then, from one day to the next, inch by inch, it started lifting.  i think jennifer is right, if the body is being sapped of its energy by having to cure say a bladder infection or in your case, stomach bug, your leg suffers.  give it a week or two and get your strength back and keep trying, i.e. keep sending the impulses from brain to leg.  all of sudden it will start working again.  good luck!

• Posted

Thanks guys. I have my 6 week appointment with my consultant this coming week, so I am sure he will have an answer :-)

I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else. I know everyone heals and recovers differently :-)

• Posted

I was doing well up to ;7 wks  consultant said I could go all to work.  Now have a swollen knee pain at back of knee and getting difficult to bend now 10wks I only work 3 days . I expected a reaction but the pain is starting to get me down again don't see consultant until December 
    • Posted

I think as soon as you start to do more the knee reacts. I'm lucky that I don't work (retired) but I've tried to do more walking this week and my knee seems to be more sore. I'm 13 weeks now and it doesn't get quite so stiff and swollen as it did a few weeks ago so I can understand yours reacting as it does at 10 weeks. As you may have seen on my other posts, I get a pain at the back of my leg too. Physio says my hamstring is weak. Could this be your problem too? Do you still see a physio? 
  • Posted

I've only had one session of physio just after I left hospital  I was given an exercise sheet to do each day.   I've made an appointment to see gp next week to get it checked out 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.