5 weeks post op - is this normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's 5 weeks today since my rectocele repair operation. I've noticed a lump towards the front of the vagina.  It had a lot of stitches in it at one point, but now those stitches seem to have gone. Is this lump likely to go, or does it look like this operation has removed one prolapse and produced another?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You seem quite normal to me. I'm 16 week post op and the lumps and bumps are starting to subside. It's a slow healing process. Take care of yourself hon. X

• Posted

Hi I'm 9 weeks post op and am still pretty swollen a bit at the back wall but a lot at the front walk. I was having a look every other day convincing myself I'd prolapsed again but I think your imagination just runs away with you. I'm sure you are totally fine and normal but do yourself a favour - don't look xx

• Posted

The lump is perfectly normal, please don't worry and it could be there for some time yet. It's swelling from the surgery and even when the sutures dissolve it won't reduce for a while 

• Posted

Oh thank goodness Gillian. I was going to message you today if we didn't hear from you because you've been having a rough time. What's the next step then? Xx

• Posted

Hi matron I had a really bad urine infection I had swollen lips very swollen urethra and underneath  IT all inflaimed stinging and felt like I had a tampon half in half out

the doctor was amazing GP he gave three days antibiotics rang me put me on a further four days I am much improved and feeling quite normal for the last two days.

he is called Doctor Grey  how funny

• Posted

thanks for the reassurance. Fingers crossed, then!
    • Posted

You have been having a rotten time Gillian so let's hope you're now going to recover fully to enjoy the rest of the summer. Take care xxx

• Posted

Hi hunni I was told at 20 weeks post op by my gp that the repair had failed and I still had a prolapse, I was beside myself , my consultant wouldn't see me so I went private and got a second opinion, and was told it's scar tissue, which I'm waiting to have removed. But this last few days it's starting to feel much more comfortable. I'm now 8 months post op. It's a very very slow process. So please don't panic. It's very early days. X

• Posted

Hi. I'm thinking mine has failed 16 week post op. I still have great difficulty having a bm and constant dull ache. Did u have similar symptoms with scar tissue?

• Posted

Yes I'm afraid so and to be honest it's only the last month or so I have started to feel normal again. X

• Posted

Well that's kind of a relief for me if you had similar problems too. Just got to stick with it for longer and hope for the best. Glad things have stated to improve for you.

• Posted

Hi Grable , I am 5 weeks and 4 days post op from a postererior and anterior repair and cervix removal left from previous hysterectomy . I too can feel a round lump inside vagina at the top and it feels shorter in length too ! Maybe to do with cervix removal ? It doesn't feel like the original prolapse as that was actually hanging out but not sure why I can feel a round thing still . It doesn't move though . Think my stitches have gone like yours .

• Posted

Jane your vagina will feel shorter if you've had your cervix removed and that area will have been sutured. 

• Posted

Hello Matron , oh right I thought it may be a bit shorter , just thought the round lump at the top felt strange but I suppose that's just part of the new shape ! Do you think the bloated pregnant look will go ? Maybe it's too early yet. Thanks Jane B

• Posted

Hello Jane, yes the bloated look will go down. Part of it is the air the consultant pumps into your pelvic cavity to separate the internal organs so he can see what he's working on more than easily. Don't worry about the shortened vagina because it is a muscular organ and will stretch so intercourse won't be uncomfortable. I had a total hysterectomy some years ago so no cervix and didn't have problems.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for the info and reassurance . I will look forward to being normal again .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.