5 weeks post op...progressing but feeling slow and old

Posted , 9 users are following.

I’m almost but not quite crutch free in the house, mainly use 2 crutches outside but sciatica limits my time walking and on feet. I’m dabbling with bits of work (from home) but really struggling to concentrate or have energy beyond a couple of hours. I’m lucky in that I can be flexible but really need to crack on with this current project. I also feel slow and laboured... maybe it’s just the heat here, and have 2 other medical issues to deal with including low iron, but that is now resolved. Had an hours nap this afternoon.....Hoping my energy returns in the not too distant future....  anyone else feel/felt like this? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lovely 

Yep! All normal I’m afraid.  I’m 13 weeks and 50 and just beginning to think about going back to work ....

Patience is what it needs I’m afraid 

Keep well ....

Lynne xxx

• Posted

Hi, yes I felt the same after my hip replacement. I couldn't eat, kept falling asleep, no energy and felt so ill. Eventually I decided to stop taking the iron tablets as I was certain these were causing the problems - within a couple of days off the iron I was eating and feeling a lot better and my energy gradually returned. Maybe you should give this a go?

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Hi Frances I'm on week 8. I'm 72 and am able to walk out and about with 1 crutch and around our narrowboat where we live I am OK without crutches. Don't worryeee about how soon you progress take your time and the lack of energy and tiredness is normal after hip replacement, it is major surgery after all. I'm sure things will continue to improve as the weeks go by

• Posted

Hi frances,

I would not have thought, you should be feeling so tired 5 weeks on. This happened to my friend after her hip op and it came down to her diet, she was not getting the right vitamins and minerals in her diet as soon as she added certain things like spinach she soon picked up.

• Posted

Today was a better day - not only did I manage three hours work, but walked on one crutch with my dog, and saw progress in the earlier part of the day without crutches. 

Food definitely does play a part - my iron is back in the land of the living, but looking back over the weekend it was a lot more sugar than I’ve had recently.  Mass sugar also aggravates my joints (I have psoriatic arthritis). So today I did my online supermarket order and stuffed it full of fresh veg and other good anti inflammatory things.  Thanks for the prompt!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.