53 yrs old, discharge, mild cramping, scared to go to gyn, USA

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello everyone, i've been reading and good to know what i'm going thru might just be normal.  i have to confess i havent been to gyn in 10 yrs ..i'm overweight and i hate going.  but i did make an appt to see the gyn next week.  i thought i was in menopause at age 50 then had a period yr and half later (on vacation with my 19 yr old daughter who had just finished her period) ....it was very light and went away after few days; havent had one since started to spot last week brown discharge then pink spots ...then few days nothing and then last night more pink bleeding but not heavy not even much on kotex, but feel some pressure and light cramping last night...this morning still light pink after wiping myself.  my daughter was staying with me last week and she was on her period !!!! i'm scare to go to the doctor mainly b/c i hate having an exam..but i found one who specializes in harmones, diabetes and thyroid problems...i had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my daughter and mymother had part of thyroid removed with non cancerous nodule.  so i think i'm going to the right doctor.  asked my hubby to come with me.  i may need a muscle relaxer before i go...lol....anyway i hope its just a surge of hormones and nothing serious.  i too have googled myself to death! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My goodness Kathleen you've done well not to go to gyny in 10 years!! I think the worse is over for you girl! Still your doing the right thing now, best to get checked out then you can make an informed descision what path you want to follow. I don't believe it's anything sinister, just one of the many menopausal joys. Take care and all the best.
    • Posted

thanks amanda for the reply.  i too think it is just a surge but as much as i'm afraid to go to the doctor, i'm more afraid if it dont...so many ppl i know recently found out they have cancer (not reproductive) and its just scaring me!  i'm hoping for some type of harmone therapy  or just let it go and see if it comes back...hopefully nothing more.  thanks again
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen... I can relate in a way.  I did not have gyn exams for about five years after having a bad experience with a doctor who, as it turned out, was drug-addicted and nearly lost her license (she'd been my gyn for about ten years and had always been great).  It did take having a problem arise for me to see a new gyn last month, but she is wonderful and it is a great relief to have that care again.  I feel safe with her and she has an excellent reputation and was a referral from my excellent GP.  It sounds likely that you are going to be fine and I wish you all the best!  Keep us posted.
    • Posted

thanks elizabeth!  before i got pregnant in 1994 i went to a woman doctor who i told specifically that i was nervous about being examined to the point of being phobic ....she was horrendous...basically told me on the exam table that i needed to get over it and that i was stopping her from performing her job....i left and never went back....got a male ob/gyn when i got pregnant..he was wonderful...did two exams ..one on first visit and one just before due date...then had a c-section...the rest of the time he had me do ultrasounds cuz he knew how scared i was with the exam.  i'm hoping that at 53 yrs old i can do this.  i know i have to.  but if i have to have any tests as i've read on many of these discussions, they are going to have to knock me out...lol
    • Posted

I understand.  I've had anxiety pretty much my whole life (I'm almost 45) and have been through a lot lately with lab work, exams, and testing to get to the root of my problem, but knowing that I'm in good hands has been a huge help, as is this forum.  Tell your doctor what you need, and if you can't get it, find another one, that is the lesson I've learned, in addition to relearning that I deserve great care and should not settle for less!  
  • Posted

Hi kathleen 

its good that you are going to see a doctor 10 years is way to long to not see a doctor 

I will pray that everything is okay for you and its just probably hormones doing it 

Just relax and stay positive and good luck

• Posted

You should be Ok. I had a lot weird spotting last year. Had three mos. Of pretty heavy periods too last Summer. Then by last Fall til now- no periods. Going on 6 mos. Now. 6 more to go and hope I'll be in full menopause. Hopefully, lesser symptoms too.

Good Luck at the gynecologist, but rest assured your irregular periods are due to peromenopsuse, like the rest if us.

• Posted

Thank you I was just saying a little prayer and asked my hubby for a hug then I saw your message thank you for sharing your experience with me !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.