5wks on

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm  at 5 weeks post op and I am struggling with the exercise, especially the one where you bring your knee up, I really struggle with that one I'm having pysio once a week that's helping but am I the only one who finds these excercises hard ? Every one tells me the more you put in the more you get out ,I'm doing my best .

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Are you talking about lifting your straight leg up from a prone position.  Or maybe where you flex your leg from straight to a bent position?

In either one I would use something that assisted the movement, and very gently.

You may use the leg lift sling, or possibly towel or strap around the foot to very gently apply pressure or assitance while your leg warmed up.   Just be careful not to force it.  Take your time.   And best of luck.

• Posted

Hello jacqui

I am nearly 13 weeks now. I remember a time when I thought I would never be able to pull my knee up. I struggled with all the exercises for one reason or another. However if you persevere doing each exercise as well as you are able you will start to see an improvement. Try to do them twice daily but do not push yourself too hard. Aim to bend a fraction more each day, but be prepared to ease down if it is too painful. Listen to your body. It does get better.

• Posted

If you can , Try it in water it's much easier. Hard on land. My Physio said it's like stretching an elastic band if you do it often it will loosen but if you only stretch it once it just goes back into original size.so keep at it ten reps four times a day I did and it's still hard but definetly improved. Try pushing pedal on a static bike not turning it just stretching up and down. Helps with knee lifts
    • Posted

i have been waiting for my scar to heal over I can't wait to get back into the water Thankyou .
  • Posted

Hi jacqie, I found that excersise hard too.bur I got my dressing gown belt and started to full it up by that it does do the trick. Don't push yourself too hard with your excersises I know you feel you must but softly does it . Your body needs to heal at its own pace, and it will. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Morning Jacqui.  Like you I am 5 weeks post op.and only discovered this wonderful site yesterday but already I can see that the recommended exercises vary considerably from physio to physio depending on which hospital one is with!  I am a 70 year old lady with MS and at first the exercises were nothing short of torture but now they have become routine and I do them 3 times a day.  My husband watches to ensure I do them properly and by that I mean putting the right amount of effort in and not counting too quickly.  Even a week ago I found the 10 repititions of each exercise oh so hard to hold for 5 seconds but not any more.  Please Jacqui can you describe the exercise you are having the most trouble with in more detail- is it done whilst lying flat on bed or is it leg raising whilst sitting on chair?  I will try to help all I can because everybody is right when they say these exercises, done 2/3 times EVERY single day are the key to a good post op outcome.  Hear from you soon and above all be patient Jacqui as we are all very different when it comes to healing and ability.
  • Posted

No pain no gain is the mantr usually but I change it to  "Pain never hurt anyone!. For. Laugh. Well. I TRY to laugh while doing my pre op exercises.redface
  • Posted

I agree with the advice to use a sgtrap or dressing gown strap to help pull the knee back, but my consultant insisted that first you should do what you can by using your muscles, and then use an aid to the point where you think OUCH but not quite SCREAM . . .My physio used to take it to the SCREAM point, and when I asked the consultant, he said tht was counter productive and not to do it. . . WAS I PLEASED!!!! I agree that the bringing the knee up when lying down is a really difficult exercise, but stick at it.  Today, nearly nine weeks, I have just managed the stairs downwards without a crutch (holding the bannister mind you!) which at five weeks I honestly thought I would never ever achieve. . . 
    • Posted

Hi I was terrified of the stairs and knew there was no way I could use a crutch on them so I got a reconditioned stairlift put in what a god send it was too. I don't use it now but have to hang on to the rail for grim death as I go up and down. When I am out and have to use the stairs I position myself sideways so I have 2 hands on the rail always and do one step at a time. It takes time but I don't care if people are behind me they have to wait.my balance has never been good. When I go for a walk now I take a folding stick and use it just to hold while I march along. Dr says marching is better for the knee than just walking. Well its working for me!!.take care x
    • Posted

Wehave five steps up to the front gate . . nothing to hold on to . . so I think I shall be going down those one at a time for quite a while.  Down to the garage, though, are about 18 steps, with a very good hand rail . .and that's where I practise!  Very sharp edges, and stone, so I am VERY careful!  How was Cyprus? Are you still there or back home now??

• Posted

Hi , yes I'm still here in cyprus but the weather is not brilliant at the moment had lots of rain and thunder. Don't like the sound of those 5 steps with nothing to hold on to. I know I couldn't do that I would just freeze. It's the same as when I go into the dark my feet just won't move. You do need to be so careful with those steps mine are a piece of cake compared to yours. Take extra care you are doing well and moving forward , can't believe I am at 7months I feel as if I have been in another world so far out of my comfort zone. But my mojo is back and being helped along by a few G and T,s love from tucks x
    • Posted

Glad to hear that!  I avoid the front door. . usually park the car in the garage and come up the steps with the handrail!  Hope the weather improves for you soon!  It's a beautiful island, but with rain and thunder, not a lot of fun!
    • Posted

I'll be in Cyprus soon for their Easter can't wait. Just need the okay to fly as it will be just on eleven weeks. It's motivated me to work on the Physio though. Not looking forward to the long walks and airport queues though. Might go special assistance.
    • Posted

Good idea to get some assistance they are really good, only drawback is you have to have a window seat so you are a bit restricted for room to stretch. I didn't have asstistance this time but I am 7months post op. I had an aisle seat, absolutely fine. I love cyprus but weather is not good at the moment, but the forecast is good. At 11weeks you are doing well to be going on holiday enjoy it.but take care.
    • Posted

Oh yes I forgot you have to have a window seat. Am six weeks now will wait till nearer the time. Have house there so will be comfortable and safe. Wouldn't go anywhere else on holiday. Weather might be kind. Knee sore tonight that tight band is back. Wonder if it's related to stress as I don't seem to have it when relaxed but a few things worrying me and now it's back. Will check and report back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.