6 Month Update.. Stay with it!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just thought I would give an update, so many people only post their first few weeks experiences and forget to actually come back once its working and report back so you mainly only see negative experiences on here...

So bottom line..  I feel Great!!  For me I would say around 8-12 weeks I started feeling motivated again.. that said I still had the odd wobble but I was feeling positive and was able to ride out any "wobbles" I had.

It'd been 6 months now (26 weeks) and I can tell you that these tablets work..  I'm actually in a really good place now, been discussing with the wife about renewing our vowels and even planning other stuff for the future, my point is 6 months ago I was ready to give up..  So please stay positive and don't spend too much time reading the horror stories as they make you worse.. you start panicking more and over thinking everything! That said you should at very least start a journal/diary on here and talk to people as it will help and keep yourself busy and don't be tempted to stay in bed as I did many times!!

I'm now at a stage where I don't have any side effects and I don't even know I'm on them other than actually physically taking them every night so eventually your body adjusts and the side effect will disapeer.

Now for you guys out there...

the main side effect I'm sure your all know what I'm talking about wink 

I still suffer with it but it gets better..  just space it out and don't think to much about it.  my wife is very understanding and we found ways to get around it so it's not impossible to still maintain a healthy sex life you just need to improvise a little :D

Gareth

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all I start week six tonight and I am really hoping to see an improvement after and awful week 5 it never seemed to let up I am on 20mg flu and 10mg x2 of propanalol any encouragement would be greatly appreciated as feeling a little fed up of this anxiety 
    • Posted

I hit week five on Fluoxetine today too. My anxiety has been over the top these past two days. It doesn’t seem to settle down in the late afternoon and evening without a benzo. My energy has improved still not a great appetite. Is the propanol working on the anxiety. I read a book on Meds by Benjamin Kramer who said anacdotally the more anxiety you feel when you start fluoxetine the better the response when it kicks in. Stacey said she was much better with anxiety by week 12. I need to take a Xanax now. I feel like I want to jump out of my skin. You are not alone
    • Posted

onto week 6 too today
    • Posted

Yeah the propanalol has helped a bit I was really bad with attacks and it does take the edge off
    • Posted

Getting past week 5 for me was a nightmare so hopefully it's onwards and upwards and don't be to concerned about having some ups and downs, just think that your brain is going through some rewiring at the moment and it's hitting a few bumps along the way.. it won't be long now and it's not exact for everyone but one thing we all have in common is it doe's eventually get better so just keep positive and keep yourself busy, don't aloow yourself time to think it over etc.. Goodluck and stay in touch..

• Posted

I found the Propanolol had no effect on the Anxiety for me which is a shame however it makes up for it by controlling my racing heart and palpitations etc that I was getting in an actual attack so basically for me the Propanolol helped with the physical effects of an attack than the anxiety (feelings) itself but then that's what the Fluoxetine is for.. so they work great together imho.

• Posted

It’s true Edwardsamy we are still actually 5weeks 2 days almost to 6 week 6. When the anxiety gets overwhelming cry or scream it out in a private place if you can .it alleviates it.
  • Posted

HI what mg was you on , I am on day 9 10mg, if I try to updose I have tight chest , and feel as through I can't breath, get really tired 3 in the afternoons, need to sleep,

• Posted

Fluoxetine? I'm on the lowest dose (20mg) the chest tightnings I found was actually my anxiety of taking the meds and not the actual meds themselves so it's catch 22! 

The best you can do is try and keep yourself busy or distracted and if you ain't already taking something with them like Propanolol or equivalent then consider that too. The Propanolol is a beta-blocker it suppresses adrenaline and for me this means so racing heart or palpitations so that kept my attacks from actually turning into full blown panic so for me I swear by it (Propanolol)

• Posted

I take Clonidine which is similar stops the chest tightness and physical symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Gareth

I am like yourself, 6 months in on 20 mg and i have just returned to the Forum. My experience very similar to yourself, I didn;t notice much change at all until at least 12 weeks but then things gradually started to improve and now I feel almost 'normal' again. My advice to anyone out there is to stick with it for minimum 12 weeks, the side effects can be very bad but there's no other way as Fluox just takes a long time to work. It can be very difficult but patience is the key. I wondered long and hard about upping my dose but so glad I didn't now.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.