6 Months after Right TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All

Six months now after my TKR(68 male) saw the surgeon on Friday I thought it was a bit stiff but he was pleased with the bend and the straightning told me it would never be as good as the original .it has been an up and down 6 months but can walk without any bother driving long distance is a bit of a pain as its the right knee and the car seat does not support the leg properly( time to change the car) the only thing I forgot to ask was is it safe to kneel on the knee .There is light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, unifon,I had my right TKR on the 5th of November and a friend had her 1year assessment last week and the surgeon told her she would never be able to kneel on it again. I don't know if this is the norm.
    • Posted

I've heard that too . . but I have tried kneeling on my very soft mattress, and in the hydrotherapy pool witout any problem . .but I wouldn't want to risk it on a hard floor!  No more scrubbing floors for me (well, there never was really . . . )
  • Posted

Hi I had my right TKR 7 months ago and like you, it's still a bit stiff and if I'm honest, a bit painful now and again too.  I don't feel as if I could risk kneeling down on either hard or soft surface.  I also have trouble driving long distances as the knee tends to become more stiff and the front of the knee feels like the joint is pushing near the surface.  Not sure if it should be like that but when I mentioned it to the surgeon a few months ago he wasn't really interested - just said I was doing well!! I have not got much confidence in him as I feel he thinks he has done his bit now.  Oh well, everyone says it takes time - I just wish it would hurry up!!  
  • Posted

Hi Unifon, 

My surgeon said kneeling was ok as long as I knelt on something soft. I use an old foampillow which is about 3 inches thick. It felt strange at first but now (20 weeks post op) I have no after effects  from the occasional kneel. I had the kneecap religned and I don't know if this makes a difference, you should check with your surgeon.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well. Tomorrow will be 9 wks post op for me. I still have trouble sitting for any length of time. Being a passenger in a car is very uncomfortable too. Have only just started to resume driving.
  • Posted

Hi had my right TKR in November and just like you the bend is good but have trouble with the straightening , walking is getting better , and it is still  stiff .  I have not done any kneeling  at all yet .You have given me hope ! Because I have had my ups and downs too

hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel  just have a hard time seein it . 

• Posted

Hi unofon -at my 6 week check up my surgeon had me kneeling on a chair! It felt fine too! He told me a lot of people don't like the feel of kneeling so they avoid it but that if its perfectly OK to do so. But maybe this doesn't apply to everyone? Best check with your own surgeon.
  • Posted

I would say it was safe to kneel but you will never be able to kneel right back on your haunches. Hope that makes sense and keep up the good work.

Sarah

• Posted

I had my TKR on Nov 10th and a manipulation on Feb 6th. Since then the knee is bending though I first I didn't think it would, and the surgeon has released me. I asked him if there was anything I shouldn't do and he said 'no'. The therapist said I wouldn't be able to squat back on my heels which makes sense because you need more than 125 degree bend to do that.

Right now (as of 3 days ago) I am off all the pain pills and battling with sleepless nights as a result. My knee still hurts some, but the rest of my body aches all over after I do anything. I think the muscles are all protesting at being used after 6 months of inactivity. I feel like I'm about 105 years old when I get out of bed in the morning.

• Posted

you dont say how far your bend is im glad you are not have any bother after 6 months i get very down with mine as its hard to bend and just as painful to straighten it i had mine done on the 5 of march so i guess its still early but the stiffness and pain gets to much for me somedays and i end up crying then i wish i never had it done. so it always nice to hear that someone has got through and come out the other end.
    • Posted

Laying on the surgeon's table I was able to bend it to 125 without help. It is also going straight, though straightening was never really a big problem. Before the manipulation it wouldn't bend past 95, and that with a lot of help from the PT. It has been 5 months of pain, agony and misery, and the job it did on my head (or maybe it was the drugs) is stll lingering. Lost all interest in doing anything. The only thing I had left was my knitting (and Ravelry) and that saved me. Now at least I am getting out in my garden, even though my muscles are rebelling. ANd it still hurts but I'm hoping that will end as now my other knee actually hurts more, and I have to pluck up the courage to get it done too.
  • Posted

Hi it's probably too late now, but no you shouldn't knee, it feels strange as the bit you kneel on isn't yours any more, but plastic and stainless steel. I was advised to use a thick pillow or better still use your bottom. Hope by now you have worked out the best method.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.