6 months out...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi group, I am 6 months post TKR on left knee. I am going back to work on the 19th and I am nervous.

A couple things... 

a). Knee is still warm to the touch

b). Knee clicks and clunks with EVERY movement (up and down stairs, walking, riding recumbent bike, moving in bed... its a constant; almost feels like it shifts sometimes

c). Still painful especially when trying to bend or going up and down the stairs, riding my bike, etc. ROM is around 110

d). Still walking with a limp. Feel pain in my left hip and butt cheek as well. I can feel pain shoot from my hip doen to my knee.

Is all of this "normal" or "to be expected" after a TKR and being 6 months out? Thank you in advance for any help!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

My sports Physio said you need around 115 degrees to ride a bike and walk down stairs correctly. We all take different time to heal, it seems your healing is still going on.

I would think walking with a limp is part of the problem as not walking correctly puts strains in places on your body which normally is not the case.

I have suggested before to see a Sports Physio.

Hot baths and icing.

Good healing

• Posted

Thanks. By sports Physio do you mean a Sports Physical Therapist?

Still icing and alternating heat.

• Posted

Yes as many sports persons recover from knee injuries / operations, so the recovery is very much the same. I used the hospital Physio, who was good for a chat and a massage. The sports one looked more and making my knee / leg correct by only using some basic exercises to start with.
  • Posted

yes, I think so...took me closer to a year.

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

• Posted

Is a neoprene sleeve approved though? I read that you shouldn't wear a brace after having a TKR as it could hinder muscle/tendon/tissue healing...???

• Posted

6 months out, yes...but ask your surgeon.

I had my TKR, recovered, then fell and fractured the femur where it was holding the implant...

Mine has metal supports on each side to prevent side slipping of the knee....it is not however, a brace.

• Posted

Hi again.... I'm looking online at the knee sleeves and it seems as though they come in a multitude of sizes. Can you suggest a site or store where you got yours that you had to measure the circumference of your patella?

• Posted

The one I have, in fact I have one for each knee...

from Amazon

Safe-T-Sport hinged knee brace by FLA orthopedics

hugs

• Posted

Sounds like you're not ready to go back to work. Talk to your doctor and get an extension of time off. You sound pretty uncomfortable at home. Work will be 10 times worse! Good luck!

• Posted

a. You push the knee too far, it will get warm and swell.

b. Get used to it.  Could take 18 months to resolve or never go away.

c. ROM goal should be 0 straight and +120 bent.  PT will help you get there.

d. Sciatica.  Had it too.  Read the Sciatica section in this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

• Posted

a). I don't do a whole lot yet as I am not back to work yet for it to get and stay warm. Just sitting it's constantly warm.

c). Thank goodness I am 0 straight. Just having a lot of trouble with ROM still. Could be that I had 5 arthroscopies before my TKR in which two of them included a lateral release. So needless to say I had a ton of scar tissue. TKR was May 24th and had to have a MUA on July 8th. Released from PT 2 weeks ago unfortunately but still doing the exercises at home.

• Posted

Thanks Chico. I have been doing and still do what are called "wall slides." Same concept I believe. Already have been doing the quad exercises.

Do you happen to have any experience with a neoprene sleeve and if it helps at all?

Tx

• Posted

Used a simple sleeve when the incision was very sensitive rubbing on sheets and clothing.  Also loosely wrapped it with an ACE bandage at night instead of keeping the sleve on.  Never needed the "compression" for knee stability or anything like that...just the sensitivity.  At 8 months, the sensation is long gone.

• Posted

The compression pushes fluids back to the heart which means less swelling which means less pain.
    • Posted

Hi Chico - talked to my Doc about the clicking and clunking/"shifting" feeling... he said I will always have it. It's metal on plastic...or vise versa... hmmm

• Posted

My doc sais...and I quote:

"You have a mechanical device implanted in your body.  What do you expect?"

I'm just resigned to it.  Have fun with friends.  Walk quietky so everyone hears the sound...then stop and ask them: "Anyone hear that clunking sound?  No?  Maybe it's just me."  After another 10', do it again.  Freaks them out!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.