6 months post gaulbladder surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi can anyone help?   it is nearly 6 months since i had my gaul bladder removed and my stools are still sometimes very slimey and smelly.  also, i'm still getting a lot of flatulance!   i'm trying to be very careful as to what i eat, and sometimes frightened to eat anything incase i get the dreaded d and nosea!   Please can someone help as i'm afraid incase i'm starting to get bowel cancer or something like that!  have no pain, and not loosing weight!   Very worried and frightened Val!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Val am sorry to hear this. Have you tried the caltrate calcium 600 d? Think it might help you. The calcium soaks up the bile which in turn bulks up the stool. It's worth a try. You can get it in any pharmacy and it's not too expensive either. You start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food. If there's no change after 4-5 days up the dosage to 1 3 times a day with food. It seems to work for so many people. Hope you feel better soon. Big hugs xx
    • Posted

Hi Sweetheart!  Thanks so much for that!   i'll get on to Amazon after speaking to you and order them.   do you take it with food, and does it affect any other med that i might be on?   How are you coping, and how's the nosea?  big big hugs!   xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Val yes you take it with food. Make sure you get the caltrate brand as that's the best one and it's caltrate calcium 600 d. Calcium cant be taken with iron or any ppi's. You would have to leave 2 hours in between. I'm taking them and Also psyllium husk which are really helping. Still have the nausea in the morning times so I go for an hours walk to try and clear it. I feel better since I started the psyllium as its soaking up the bile. Still have no appetite and afraid to eat. Went to acupuncture this morning and she feels she can help the nausea. Was there for 2 hours. Found it good. I have to accept I can't change what's happened to me abs have to try to focus on getting better and having some sort of a life. It's only when you can't eat you realise how much everything we do is based on eating. Simple things like going to the movies or going for a picnic or going out for a meal are all out for me for now but hopefully that will change. Let me know when you get the tablets. By the way what foods are you eating? X
    • Posted

have been eating mostly chicken, but getting so fedup with the same thing!   Wish i could eat normally as my appetite is coming back, but scared to eat because of the dreaded d and nosea.   please keep in touch you can send me a private message via forum.   xxxx
  • Posted

Valerie this happens to most people and for most people it calms down when you have your gall bladder removed the bile drips constantly into your small intestine which then acts like a laxative, I am now in my 3rd year of what you have I take a bile binder called Colesevelam there is another called Questran and of course my old friend Loperamide (Imodium) Go see your GP and ask him to refer you to a Consultant xxx
    • Posted

Hi sweetheart!  how lovely it is to hear from you.   if this doesn't get any better, i'll certainly go to my gp. fed up with eating low fat and bland foods, and as my appetite is coming back, wish i could eat normally!   how did you get on with the endoscope?  Keep in touch.  you can always send me a private message via the forum.   Hugs!  Val.  xx
    • Posted

I go next Wednesday Valerie so crossed fingers lol hope things improve for you love take care xxxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Hi valerie, thought I would reply to you, it is also 5 months 2 weeks now since I have had my gallbladder removed and sometimes I have the same, also bad flatulence and bloated stomach allot, I also have IBS which does not help, but I have had pain with wind and pain in groin and to the waist, this I am told is because there is a meridian nerve that is disturbed when the gallbladder is removed and it takes a long time to get back to normal, also I have heard that because there is no gallbladder the liver has to adjust, remember that the purpose of a gallbladder is to break up fatty foods and even though I don't eat very fatty foods and try always to eat good even before I had it out, I like a bit of chocolate and biscuits here and there, but anyway, the liver has to adjust to this process and break up ANY kind of fat.  My stools are still smelly and I have dreadful wind still, I believe it can be over 6 months or so for the liver to adjust, its been quite difficult for me but when I get the wind pain I tend to drink allot of water or camomile tea and have something like Colanticon gel which is available from the pharmacy which helps with the wind, its just a slow process dispite what people say, the body has to adjust, I hope mine will adjust and get better and I hope yours will, don't worry about the bowel cancer, I'm sure its no way connected to this, its just because the gallbladder has been removed and all the process that follows.  Take care Stella
    • Posted

Hi Stella!  How nice it was of you to reply.  Like you, i also like the occasional piece of chocolate.  i get so fed up eating low fat and bland food.  i wish i could eat normally, as i'm starting to get my appetite back.  hope you improve soon.   i used to like the odd glass of white wine, but can't even have that now!  My friend suggested that i get the alcohol free wine, but i'm not sure.  What do you think?   Val.
    • Posted

Stella am glad you posted this. You are so right in what your saying. So many people expect to recover from this op within a few weeks but the truth as you have said is that the liver had to adjust and in a lot of people this takes time. I'm sorry that you are suffering too. You are not alone. Had mine out 4 and a half months ago and it's been hell. It's hard to stay positive when you feel so bad but you are so right in what you say. Have you tried the caltrate calcium 600 d for the ibs? A lot of people with ibs find it very effective. It's worth a try. Also I know a few people who took nearly a year to get over this operation. 1 person I know (a 10 year old) vomited everyday for 9 months and then it just stopped. Another had vomiting and diarrhea for 8 months. Everybody is different and it can take a long time in some to adjust. My gp keeps telling me it will settle down. I hope it settles for all of us soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, Iive never heard of this substance for the IBS, do you know where you get it from, I have had some terrible wind with the IBS and worst since the gallbladder removal, it sometimes sticks on the chest and gives me pain there, its a struggle but I could not have left the gallbladder in as they said it was full of stones and the alternative was far worse, I hope that as the weeks and months go on I'll get better with it as I am 60 now and work part-time albeit from home and have the allot of the housework to do as well as my husband works hard and helps only at weekends, take care Stella x
    • Posted

thanks for your reply, where do you get this callrate calcium from as I've never heard of it and I would like to try it, I suffer with that much wind and worse after op and its gets on the chest as well as stomach, Stella
    • Posted

Hi Stella you can get the caltrate calcium 600 d in any pharmacy. It's not expensive either. It's basically calcium with vitamin d which is good for us all. The calcium soaks up the bile therefore solidifying the stool. You need to start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food. If you see no Improvement after 5-6 days then try 1 tablet 3 times a day with food. It will definitely help you and the calcium is good for your bones too. Give it a try. it's also good for the wind. I'm 43 and feel like my world has ended since this operation. I never expected to feel so sick afterwards. Like you I am hoping that the nausea will gradually fade away over the coming weeks/months. My gp has assured me it will go but I'm more concerned about my bowel settling. I hope we all start to feel better real soon. Keep in touch. Take care xx
  • Posted

hi again valerie, yes alcohol free wine would probably be ok, or a low vaultage wine, and just a small glass, I have just a half a glass of wine every now and again, I don't value a volumn of more than 12.5 or even lower if you can get it, just have a bit and you should be o.k, take care Stella
  • Posted

Hi Valerie. I am the wife of James. I had my gall bladder removed at the end of January. From my pre op weight 2 days before surgery I was at 170lbs. At the end of February I weighed 204. I have had nothing but diarrhea (mostly bile) , nausea (mostly dry heaves), bloating, but no pain, no weight loss. I have a new family dr and her plan is to run test until she finds some answers. I have never weighed this much EVER. I am now on antidepressants!! If or when my dr finds an answer, I will gladly pass it on to you since we are sharing the same nightmare!!
    • Posted

Hi James wife. I'm sorry you are going through this but your not alone. It sounds like bile salts diarrhea. Are you taking a bile binder questran? It should help you. Alternatively you could try caltrate calcium 600 d which is a calcium pill. Calcium soaks up the bile and solidifies the stool. I had mine removed in December and it's been a nightmare since. That nausea and dry heaves is the worst part of it. I vomited for nearly 4 months afterward. Thankfully that's stopped now the last 4 weeks and I just have the nausea to deal with as well as the diarrhea. I take the calcium and also psyllium husks which are helping. By the way it's frightening the number of people put on anti depressants after this surgery. It seems to be very common. I hope things settle for you. I know some people who had diarrhea for 6-8 months and it did eventually settle down. Take care . Xx
    • Posted

Hi James!  Went to my doc on Thursday, and she gave me immodium which i've to take starting with one a day, and if that doesn't bind me, to increase it to twice.  Mine isn't actually diarhoe but very mushy, and lots of it.  I'm not getting the nosea as much now, but when i do, i take buccastem.  As i've said before, i hate when i get the dreaded nosea, as i've got emetaphobia, which is a fear of vomiting!  Acejohnson suggested taking Caltrate Calcium 600 D, which people have suggested helps with the bile and bowel problem.  i'm going to try it.  You start by taking half a tablet 3 times daily with food, and if this doesn't work, you increase it to 1 3 times daily.   I'll be very interested to know what your doc finds, and what treatment your given.  Please let me know, and thanks.  Val.
    • Posted

I am having either diahorrea and nausea daily, its getting worse the longer it is over a year since gallbladder out.  I have buccastem for nausea but nothing for bowel.  Can you say if you have found a solution

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.