6 week (and 3 days!) follow up....

Posted , 10 users are following.

So my post op follow up was today, everything is coming along hunky dory, except for being slightly less than hoped for with straightening. The Dr had a look at the other one, and yep, definitely severe Osteoarthritis. No shock there, it's the size of a grapefruit and hurts like a b!tch! However he wants at least 6 months healing on the first one before any intervention, so I'm booked in to see him again in July, and we'll start the process all over again......

At least I will know what to expect, and have plenty of preparation time......it's frustrating now though as its the pain from the unoperated knee that's restricting me more than the prosthetic one....

Hey ho, onward and upward, hope all are well xx

2 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm dreading that happening to e too . . the good knee is complaining on coming up stairs, and I know that's the first sign. that's how it started with the operated one!  Glad things are going OK for you. the straightening is an absolute pain, isn't it.    I rest mine on the coffee table with a two pound bag of flour on top for as long as I can stand it, and I think it's gradually making a difference, the emphasis being on 'gradually!'
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You've made great progress. 6 weeks is certainly a proper time to judge your development and yet gives you a lot of time for continued work and progress. Sorry to hear you are going to have to go through this again. Good thing about it, you know there is relief down the road.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You've made great progress. 6 weeks is certainly a proper time to judge your development and yet gives you a lot of time for continued work and progress. Sorry to hear you are going to have to go through this again. Good thing about it, you know there is relief down the road.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have got arthritis in my good knee as well so will have to go through it again at some point I am 3 weeks post op 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good attitude.  I was a few degrees off straight when I was @ 9 wks and now at 11 weeks, since I've been riding my bike and walking a lot more, I've been able to do some real slow stretches and at my last check out they said it was fine and released me for a year.  Make sure you are doing one leg at a time and really relax and make it a point to stretch slow. Bend the leg you are not stretching and make sure it is in a comfortable position so you are concentrating on the leg you want to stretch.  Also make sure you stretch both legs as they do 01i9

925555555555555555556-

.++++++++++++++++

That was my cat "helping" .   "....both legs as they do interplay.  And keep in mind that one side will be easier to stretch out  (for now it is going to be the one NOT operated on!)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So fed up 11 weeks not making much noticeable progress - any ideas? 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

At your stage the progress comes in very small increments but it does continue. Stay with the excercise and don't be afraid to use pain meds before you start. Stay hydrated and get as much rest as possible. It may improve a couple of degrees a week but you'll continue to improve. If you've really been pushing hard, try backing off just a little. Do some each day then start pushing a little harder. Stay with this group and you'll find much encouragement and some great ideas
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't be surprised if that tight band doesn't reoccur periodically. First thing that will come to mind is that you're going backward but its just the body doing its thing during the healing process. There is a lot of soft tissue and nerve damage with nerves being the slowest to heal and the system. Is rerouting blood flow and sensory wiring so all you can do is wait for a lot of slow moving developments. I often refer to hydration and the importance of drinking lots of plain water. Dehydration , even small levels can slow down the entire process. With my wife's Parkinson's disease I can just watch her for 5 minutes and tell when she hasn't been drinking enough. She slows down even more, the thought processes become more difficult, the skin takes on a different texture and color. Her speech is also affected. In one way or another we all show I'll effects of dehydration and pain meds just intensify the negatives.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hope you can keep hold of your positive attitude to get you through, its a rotten thing you have to deal with, although from your previous posts you obviously knew it was coming, best wishes to you 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds like your doctor knows what he is talking about. Take his advice.

Bet you can't wait to have the other knee operated on and be running around again.

I had TKR on one knee 3 years ago and it is like having my life back.

Good luck with all this and keep in touch.

Love Sarah xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My other knee has been grumbling for the past couple of years and sometimes was more painful that the knee I have just had replaced. A few weeks ago I would not have considered having it done but now I have got over the shock of this one I think I will be OK.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up