6 week check up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just back from my 6 wks  post op and surgeon was pleased with results so far, and suggested a couple physio things I might do (some weight on the leg while doing leg lifts, and some partial squats for the quads with not much weight.) . He even cleared me to ride my bicycle at whatever pace seemed reasonable (that may take another week on the stationary).  He switched me to Hydrocone, to use as needed, down from Oxycodone. All in all I feel pretty heartened and hope the rest of you get some good results.   He did mention that the pockets of fluid and the heat still radiating from around the incision are normal at this stage and to not panic, and think they are staph etc.   He reminded me there may be set-backs and to just go one day at a time. 

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a sensible sort of surgeon!  Any idea how much weight on the leg???  I use two kilos on my knee to try to straighten it, but I don't think I could lift that much on the leg lifts!!!
    • Posted

I would recommend this surgeon to anyone.  He has done at least 1000 knees (one a week for 20 years) and is roughly my age(57).  He was showing me how his knee can pop out of socket today so he is no stranger to knee problems himself and can truly empathize.  He mentioned starting with whatever is comfortable and doing 20 reps... maybe 10 and then rest.  Do both legs!  Using  the good knee as the standard. It seems his overall attitude is: This is not a race. You do not get a ribbon for first place. The only thing you should be concerned with is becoming functional and pain-free.   He also said forget about your family and job (OK.... that is mine)
    • Posted

Good advice!  Fortunately, retired now, so no job worries. I do feel for people who have job problems hanging over them while they struggle to recover! Always try to use both legs for all exercises now, as I suddenly discovered my operated leg was stronger than the other one! I'm going to try sing weight on he leg lifts. . sounds a good idea!
  • Posted

Virtually the same for me but managing the exercise bike. Good feeling but still prepared for setbacks from time to time not rushing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.