6 week post op tkr

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 6 week postop tkr still having stiffness doing my exercises every dat no more PT getting depressed with the stiffness any suggestions

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think stiffness is quite normal for a while, have you tried massaging top and back of your knee with bio oil . It's great for reducing the scar too. My physio showed me how to massage right down the scar , to reduce scar tissue , it seems to be working she also massaged right into back of knee to try to loosen it up . Worth a try 
    • Posted

Thank you where do you get Bio oil I have been using vitamin.E lotion

• Posted

I got a new bottle in Asda today , but most chemist or supermarkets 
    • Posted

Thank you I live in upstate NY I will try walmart would it be in the pharmacy section
  • Posted

It was just on the shelf, but pharmacy told me where 
    • Posted

Thank you also have issues with riding in car or sitting for awhile any suggestions
    • Posted

I don't find it comfortable for long periods with my knee bent ie sitting in the car..I suppose just time for that one 
    • Posted

Thank you again I will keep in touch I appreciate all your help I have been icing a lot today hopefully will help 
  • Posted

Sorry to year you are in that much pain. I find ice brilliant, but I am not getting too much pain any more. Just hope it stats away , take care 
  • Posted

Hi, 

We live in the UK, but visit our daughter who lives in New Mexico three times each year.  You can definitely buy Bio Oil in Walgreens or Target.  Personally, I prefer using Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream which contains vitamin E and is much cheaper.

• Posted

I had my tkr 2 yrs ago and remember the ups n downs well.  Are you still icing the joint Jackie because I found doing that along with the exercises and keeping the leg raised as much as possible when relaxing helped no end.  It does improve and I am now so glad I had mine done.  
    • Posted

Hi,

Nice to hear some positive news.  I am 6 weeks post op on Wednesday.  For some reason today I feel overwhelming tired.  Was pretty OK yesterday, but totally wiped out at the moment.  Slept for 1.5 hrs this morning.  Did you feel this tiredness too?  Plus, each morning my knee is so stiff, I feel I am back to square 1.  Doing all my exercises, but it is so frustrating.  

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I went through exactly the same.  The drugs used during the op takes some time to fully leave the body.  I had mine under epidural and so was awake throughout.  6 wks isn't really a long time, and everyone recovers a different rates.  I was told that alot depends on the preparation prior to the op.  Tiredness hit me because I was used to being active and the enforced resting was unnatural.  You will overcome it.  The stiffness I found came back after I left hospital, but continue with your excercises/ ice regime and it will get better.  I forced myself to carry out a daily regime and found for me it got easier. I returned to work fully 8 weeks after the operation. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice.  At the moment, I can't imagine ever feeling normal again.  Can speak to family about it, but unless you've gone through this most difficult operation, you don't really understand.  Have to get the other knee sorted too which I am finding hard to even contemplate at the moment.  Whole episode has knocked me for six.  Something I didn't expect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.