6 weeks OFF Prozac and still not better! help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

So i was put on Prozac for anxiety and it made my anxiety triple, I was only on it for about two months. Well, I've been off it for 6 weeks now and I'm still not the same as I was before taking it. I think it really messed me up! My dr started me on 20mgs of Buspar per day and that doesnt seem to be helping. I've been on the Buspar for about two weeks. Anyone else have similar experiences or input? Thank you!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vanilla27,

Are you tapering off the prozac? Because stopping cold turkey will heighten the anxiety and cause more symptoms to flare up. You should ask your doctor about tapering off safely if you are deciding to get off Prozac. I've been off Prozac the last 2 months but it wasn't until this month that I experienced bad flare ups of symptoms. I did taper off during the month of September at a slower pace but I stopped after the end of that month. I may need to go back on it to taper off even more slowly. Anyways , if you are deciding to get off it, work with your doctor to taper off at a safe and slow pace so that your anxiety isn't flaring up so badly. I am wishing you the best of luck!

• Posted

Yes I tapered off 6 weeks ago. I haven't had any problems Prozac for 6 weeks but I still feel worse than when I started the drug.

• Posted

Maybe you need to lower your dosage. Instead of 20mg, maybe 10mg would be better? You'll have to talk to your doctor about that though. I remember when I my dosage went from 20mg to 40mg and I was absolutely horrible on 40 mg. I had 3 panic attacks in a row and a variety of anxiety symptoms that flared up for a week straight. I couldn't function at all. So I had to taper down to 20 mg and then 10 mg and finally to 0 mg. However, I think I tapered off too fast so I may have to restart the process again. 6 weeks maybe too short for you. It may take a few months for you to taper off. 

• Posted

I'm completely off prozac. Been off for about 6 weeks now. I tried to go from 40 back to 20 and I was still terrible, thats when I decided to go off the Prozac all together. I started to worsen about 4 weeks into taking 20mgs and things just got worse and worse. Especially after I was put on 40. Prozac just wasnt for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.