6 weeks on celexa

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, i've been on celexa 20mg for 5 weeks now, and 1st week was 10mg.  Although I am able to eat somewhat and sleep I still have side effects.  Shakiness, tremors, pins and needles buzzy brain and where I just need to leave the house, usually to my parents family etc.  I thought I was having good days but past few days seems like its not working, or is this normal.

Thank you 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Fuzzy brain I meant smile
  • Posted

Hi! I am 4 weeks into my Citalopram tablets (Celexa) and I haven't known side effects like it if I am honest! From increased anxiety, no appetite and nausea to name a few. My first 2 weeks were fine and I didn't suffer any side effects but after those they all seemed to hit me at once and they still are, and it is scary! I have noticed though that when it comes to night time I feel much more calm and controlled although I still do get the occasional panic and racing thought that comes into mind.

It's still early days for both of us it seems and I heard it can take upward of 3 month for the effects of the medication to really kick in, as for the side effects the medication just needs its own time to work on different people.

Wish you the best of luck in your journey and life,

Kyle

• Posted

What other side effects do you get from it,, I suffer from health anxiety and gad and feel like im so overly sensitive to everything that any little pain etc it just totally gets intesified.  

Thanks so much for your reply

Missie

• Posted

And I know what you mean about night time because I feel at times totally normal again and calmer. 
    • Posted

The side effects I can list of the top of my head are, heightened anxiety, nausea, diarrhoea, racing thoughts, loss of appetite and anxiety to things I wasn't anxious about before such as losing my mom.

I know my parents are in good health but having been so dependent on them all my life I fear that they might one day be in an accident or suddenly fall ill (heaven forbid) and it honestly scared me to tears some days. I don't worry about myself at all other than my anxiety and usually beat myself up for it because I need to be strong because I am still a young age (I'm 18) and I feel like I am missing out on the best years of my life constantly fearing the worst in everything. I completely understand your feelings of being over sensitive, just yesterday I accidently put the date in the signature box and had a breakdown from that alone!

It's a really tough time when you start something new and with anything new we just need to give ourselves as much time as possible until we get into the flow of things again.

Wishing you the best again,

Kyle

• Posted

I will get the hot pins/needles in my arms/legs and light /fuzzy head whenever [health related] anxiety spawns it's ugly head.

I've been taking 10mg for 2 months now [my body can't tolerate anything higher]  At about week 6, I had a really bad anxiety episode [oddly enough while waiting for my prescription refill] which was followed by a couple of days of heightened anxiety which then subsided. 

I'm not sure if it's the med, or what I learned from reading the Dare Response last week, but I've noticed that I just don't get anxious anymore from most normal body quirks [pains, gurgles in my stomach, etc] anymore.  Mind over body I guess with help from the meds [if they are actually helping at such a low dose smile ]

• Posted

Owen ten milligrams does help.i have been on ten for 15months and I recovered around the 8month mark.hope you recovered on ten..
  • Posted

Hopefully the side effects should wear off soon. It took me about 7 weeks for most of them to go. I still get night sweats and have trouble sleeping after 2 months but most of the other effects have gone. Some people take longer. My advice is to stick with it but stay in contact with your GP
    • Posted

Hey! I am on 10mg of Citalopram and I am approaching my 5 week mark. I do believe I have made a few subtle breakthroughs although some days I question myself thinking that I made a mistake starting the medication because the side effects - especially in the morning are painful with my elevated anxiety about nothing. It probably sounds odd but I just have a sense that I should be anxious but I don't know what I am anxious about.

I've noticed my self confidence has improved since I started the medication and I still have yet to get booked in for therapy but I have rang them over the phone. I just need a bit of reassurance that I am doing the right thing as in the past I have managed my anxiety, but I did this through chronic use of computer games to suppress the anxiety from the real world, which only made my anxiety worse when the wake up call happened!

I am still jittery and my morning anxiety is a pain although it does die down a lot by the evening with a few small blips here and there. I am just wondering how you were on the Citalopram and how you coped and dealt with the side effects, especially if anxiety was one of them. I was also prescribed 2mg of Diazepam but only take one in the morning to stave off the morning anxiety but I have worrying about becoming dependent on them to keep my anxiety at bay. I had these side effects come on after 2 weeks on Citalopram and before I was fine, I am just wondering how long the anxiety takes to subside and hopefully it wont be around forever!

Thanks for reading,

Kyle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.