6 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

So I have just hit the 6 week mark. Im still quite anxious however I am not a blubbering mess anymore!

I have had difficulties sleeping for about 3/4 weeks now..... Please can someone tell me there is still time for improvement in all areas. Im starting to get a bit disheartened

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Remember to gauge your progress in months, not weeks.  It can take 3-4 months to see any improvement, and then you may even add on another 3-4 months on after that.

Seeing as you already say you aren't 'a blubbering mess' anymore, shows you already have some changes happening.  As each month goes by (not each week), you should see other small changes happening.

You may begin to get patches of feeling normal - these patches can last an hour, maybe an evening ...... and they'll disappear again.  Don't worry as they'll come back and start lasting longer and longer until you feel back to normal again.  Early morning anxiety was the last thing to disappear for me.

Even when you feel well for weeks, you may suddenly get a low period.  Again don't worry as it'll disappear eventually, even if you feel it's lasting weeks.

Getting disheartened is to normal when you're recovering on these meds.  It takes so long that a lot of people give up and stop the meds.  Just keep going ..... and when you feel you've run out of patience, just find some more patience and push on again and again.

Youll get there.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Im worrying I should be feeling better than I am! Im still anxious but like you say they must be doing something if im not crying! And I truly was crying alot everyday! Is it still early days with side effects too? I was starting to worry about those too bcus ive read people saying that theyre only meant to last a few weeks at most!

X

• Posted

As David says, everyone is different and some feel the benefits much sooner than others.  When my son was ill it took a good 6 months before he really began feeling well again, and some people start feeling ok after a month.

Again, side effects last different lengths times with people.  Doctors often say a couple of weeks should do it ... wrong.  Some people have one side effect one week, a different one the next, and so on for weeks and weeks.  Recovering on these seems to go on forever and ever because you can't see anything definite happening, but every sign comes in really small amounts you hardly notice you're getting better.

Just keep going forward, though everything that's thrown at you.  It'll all pass eventually, and it seems you're already on your way.

K x

• Posted

Welcome to the Club Alison!,

These "sticking plasters for the brain" take time and as we are all different it takes as long as it takes - long for some and shorter for others. It took me about 4 months before I can truly say I levelled out, feeling something like me old self and this was after increasing, in roughly monthly stages, from 10 to 40mg. Not everyone goes this high, but I needed to.

As Kate says you may get ups and downs and I'd like to add that each time yer up make sure you keep and remember this as a positive in case you do have a  down.

Keep reading, keep posting no matter how insignifiicant your question may seem because you'll get all the help and support you will ever need here on this fantastic forum of wonderful people!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thankyou David. Did it take you 4 months to notice improvement!? I am extremely sensitive to these meds so dont need a high dose at all!

I stopped a small dose of amitriptyline and diazepam the same time I started citalopram so it might be some withdrawal too....I dont know??

Not sleeping sure isnt helping! But ive read on the leaflet that difficulty sleeping is a common side effect

• Posted

My psychiatrist has told me that it takes a couple of months of so for the full effects of escitalopram to kick in.
  • Posted

Alison, keep the faith. I promise 6 weeks is still early days. Like everyone has said this will take a good 3 months to get proper benefits. Im on week 11 and the last week was the first week in 5 months were i started to have a few days were i felt back to my old self. The feeling was so good and hopefully this means everyday will only get better from here.

In regards to sleeping from week 2 to 10 my sleeping was terrible, i relied on sleeping tablets and or just felt rubbish. I thought i would never sleep again but this last week ive had abit of a breakthrough and started sleeping abit better and hoping it will only get better and better from here on in.

The tablets are such powerful things and some people are lucky enough not to be as affected by them. I still have side effects but every week they get better and better.

Stick with it sweeti, it gets so much better, trust me. Then one day it'll be like be like a bad dream

xxx

• Posted

i had to stop taking them due to the side effects so im back on prozac again. so back to not feeling any highs or lows again. hope things work for you
  • Posted

Citalopram usually makes people tired..it has an anti-anxiety component in it.

Don't give up....your body needs to adjust...and don't get yourself paranoid about sleeping..it makes it worse....

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up