6 weeks on citipram... help

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello,

ive been on 5mg of citalopram for 4 years. about 2 months ago i started to have anxiety and depression again. my dr upped my dose to 10mg and its now been a little over 6 weeks. the nausea and side effects have subsided but im still feeling anxious esp in the morning. its not as bad as it was a few weeks ago but still no where near back to my normal self. idk what to do. will it get better? or will i have to increase my dose again? im nervous to increase as i start a new job next week and dont want to be nauseous or fidgety.

please help!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marissa

I know your pain I have been on cit for nearly 3 month was on 10mg 2 weeks ago went up to 20 and I'm starting to get the pressure feeling in my again for the last week this christmas has been horrible for me spent the whole weekend and week in bed. I fell last week and broke my ankle and cut my head up so I'm just praying the pressure in my head is just due to concussion and will go away soon. Keep your chin up and just have to keep battling through.

• Posted

Hi Marissa, it does sound as if you're experiencing side effects from increasing. In all honesty, it's difficult to say how long they will last. Six weeks is a relatively short period of time.

It's been 18 weeks at 10 mg for me. It was around week 12 that the worst of the anxiety subsided. However, I still get blips. (although this is not my first time on the med, so am also dealing with restarting.) I've also started to sleep better over the last. Onth.

I suspect it will get better for you, to be honest, but it just takes a bit longer than we would like.... hang in there. If you're in the Northern hemisphere, we're also dealing with darker days at the moment. I'd hang in there until the evenings start to get a bit lighter and then reassess. It does sound as if you are improving, take heart from that 😊

• Posted

ok. my dr seems to think i should of already been feeling better after 4-5 weeks. but according to everything i read online it could take longer than that. is this true for most ppl? im hoping to feel better on this dose after 8-12 weeks like u said

• Posted

yes its true.i started feeling better around five months and recover on the 8month.

• Posted

doctors are always really optimistic with the recovery times I'm not sure where they get these time scales from I've not heard of anybody feeling better in 6-8 weeks. I'd stick with what your doing for at least 12 weeks minimum. as long as you have seen some sort of improvement they are working on the dose you are on don't rush to up the dose.

• Posted

Docs are wildly optimistic, honestly. Keep going 😊

• Posted

lois, is it also normal to be feeling good for an couple of hours and then bam feel down again same day? i feel like this has been happening to me for quite a few days now

• Posted

it took five months for me to be fully better on citalopram , keep going its a lo g road but fully worth ut

• Posted

HI

I'm at 5 1/2 months on 25 mg of CIT

IT's been a very very rocky road, good days, really bad days feeling anxious. I'm not recovered yet, but know I WILL be, two days ago I DROVE to MARYLAND by myself to visit family, , months ago i couldn't even consider doing this because of feeling so anxious! SO hang in there as hard as it is, we will recover.

I RE-read Katecogs and Lois's replies over and over for support

i know there will be blips and also know they won't have such a hold on me like they use to

hang in there, recovery takes months and months for some, I AM one of them

• Posted

thank you all for the encouragement. it was a little discouraging after my dr said i shluld be better by now. i hope to be on my way to recovery very soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.